Sonic Electronix

4 Alpine type R's in a 7.2 Cu-ft box too small?

hey guys i currently have 3 12" alpine type R's in a 7.2 Cu-ft box and i want to add another. is a 7.2 cu-ft box too small for 4 alpine type R's?

and if i want my box tuneed to a lower freq do i make my port longer tword the wall of the inside of the box so air cant get out as easily?. let me know

Orion 2500D , 2-10" alpine type X. Custom enclosure,
Alpine amp for mids and highs.
Working on a center channel ATM

yeah its pretty small man. 1.8cuft per 12. i wouldnt do it.

edit: the higher ups who have more experience with this woofer state 2.5cuft per 12. hence why i say its small.

Edited by Kranny

Sorry i ment 7.2 Cu NET. if theres even a difference?

if there isent im thinking of building a new box. okay my old box is tunned to 35.5 hz. it suck on lows like no flex to my mirrors. for example , the song young jeezy - count it up. strickly a 30hz tone around i think and theres no excusion and barly air movement in the vehicule. if i tune to 32 hz would it be better. ? a longer port makes the freq tune lower if im right let me know some details thanks.

Orion 2500D , 2-10" alpine type X. Custom enclosure,
Alpine amp for mids and highs.
Working on a center channel ATM

Gross I believe means total box area. NET is ACTUAL box area after you remove port displacement. And although Kranny suggests bigger, the Alpine Type-R specs actually shows 1.7 gross, or 1.3 NET. As well, the recommended tuning frequency is 33hz I believe. Longer ports are always better to hit the lows.

Wall build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/174827-walled-taurus-with-lambo-doors/#entry2571893

real men dont use fuses :D

Neither do morons
Says the guy with lambo doors on his Ford Taurus.

Ive got 4 type r 12s behind the seats in a single cab truck, they are in 5.5 cubes with 60 sq inches of port, does ~47s on music on 1500 watts. I would say 7.2 is just fine

hey guys i currently have 3 12" alpine type R's in a 7.2 Cu-ft box and i want to add another. is a 7.2 cu-ft box too small for 4 alpine type R's?

and if i want my box tuneed to a lower freq do i make my port longer tword the wall of the inside of the box so air cant get out as easily?. let me know

i wouldnt tune it lower just build it bigger and what power u runnin cuz u should b able to hit most lows , i had 2 12 type r's at 38 hz in 4 cubes with 500 watts rms to each one and didnt have to much of a problem hitting any type of lows

2 12ks and i dont know what to do

build in the works!

I built my box (2 12" Type-R's) with Alpine specs and all the music I play sounds beautiful. It can hit highs and is equally as good on the lows (28-34) believe it or not. A lot of people say to increase the port size but I don't hear any port noise at all. At least I thought I did until I added sound deadening lol. I say follow what the manufacturer's say - after all they're the people that made the damn subwoofers and did the testing. Build the box with Alpine specs first and if you're unhappy, try making a different box. If anything, go get a sheet of MDF for $25 and make two separate boxes fitting just 1 subwoofer with 2 different specs and test it yourself. And if you don't want to go through the hassle of all that, you can always lengthen the ports by extending them with a little bit of wood and glue.

Edited by dangerick18