lifted stepside Posted February 22, 2011 Report Posted February 22, 2011 Hey I'm kinda new here found this place from watchin Steves videos on youtube. any way I just put my first real system in my truck(00 standard cab chevy) but the focal a1 165's I was recommened aren't all that great there not really loud and I'm lookin for some speakers that are loud and clean. They'll be powered my a rockford 300.4 also sense my truck is a standard cab I do have 4x6's in the rear pillars right by your ears which are currently factory and turned off so its just my door speakers running. if I were to change them to some aftermarket one would that help carry the sound more? I'd rather not have to get new doorspeakers sense I spent $250 on them.
finkster Posted February 22, 2011 Report Posted February 22, 2011 ouch, did you run them passive or active? DAT 4125------>RE XXX comps active Eclipse cd7000 I serve drunks for a living
lifted stepside Posted February 22, 2011 Author Report Posted February 22, 2011 ouch, did you run them passive or active? passive? they dont have a built in amplifier they run off the rockford 30.4
Southnash Posted February 22, 2011 Report Posted February 22, 2011 I wouldn't recommend replacing the 4x6" speakers unless you want a leprechaun screaming in your ear... If that's loud to you, then go for it... Few things... I would add some sound damping material to the interior of the doors... add alot to block road noise & then you can hear your speakers better.. Next I would BI-Amp the Focal speakers with your 4 channel amplifier... Run TWO channels to the midbass drivers, bypassing the Focal crossover BUT make sure you put a HP filter crossover on 80ish on your amplifier.. Then run TWO channels THROUGH your Focal crossover to your tweeters... <<Very important, do not bypass crossover Now you can adjust each set of speakers independently & if you want more, consider upgrading to a more powerful amplifier..One rated for 75 RMS per channel at 4ohm...
lifted stepside Posted February 23, 2011 Author Report Posted February 23, 2011 I wouldn't recommend replacing the 4x6" speakers unless you want a leprechaun screaming in your ear... If that's loud to you, then go for it... Few things... I would add some sound damping material to the interior of the doors... add alot to block road noise & then you can hear your speakers better.. Next I would BI-Amp the Focal speakers with your 4 channel amplifier... Run TWO channels to the midbass drivers, bypassing the Focal crossover BUT make sure you put a HP filter crossover on 80ish on your amplifier.. Then run TWO channels THROUGH your Focal crossover to your tweeters... <<Very important, do not bypass crossover Now you can adjust each set of speakers independently & if you want more, consider upgrading to a more powerful amplifier..One rated for 75 RMS per channel at 4ohm... ok now that all makes sense. But how would I wire this to the crossover? and running two channels to crossover would that be doubling RMS to the speakers?
Southnash Posted February 23, 2011 Report Posted February 23, 2011 I wouldn't recommend replacing the 4x6" speakers unless you want a leprechaun screaming in your ear... If that's loud to you, then go for it... Few things... I would add some sound damping material to the interior of the doors... add alot to block road noise & then you can hear your speakers better.. Next I would BI-Amp the Focal speakers with your 4 channel amplifier... Run TWO channels to the midbass drivers, bypassing the Focal crossover BUT make sure you put a HP filter crossover on 80ish on your amplifier.. Then run TWO channels THROUGH your Focal crossover to your tweeters... <<Very important, do not bypass crossover Now you can adjust each set of speakers independently & if you want more, consider upgrading to a more powerful amplifier..One rated for 75 RMS per channel at 4ohm... ok now that all makes sense. But how would I wire this to the crossover? and running two channels to crossover would that be doubling RMS to the speakers? Yes this will double the power to the speakers.. The amplifier is rated at 50wrms at 4 ohms.. So each side will receive 100wrms if the amp really puts out rated power.. So with that in mind, you need to adjust gain accordingly (slightly lower).. wiring sounds complicated but it's not.. So you have 4 channels on the amp. The front TWO channels (4 wires) will go directly to the mid-range speakers (bypassing the Focal Crossovers) On these front TWO channels you want to set the crossover at 80hz HP (High-Pass) On the TWO remaining channels of the amplifier, you want to run these to your Focal crossovers. Then on your Focal crossovers you need to run the wires ONLY to your tweeters. This crossover will protect the tweeter from damage.
Southnash Posted February 23, 2011 Report Posted February 23, 2011 But I would tell you to add some type of damping material to your door panel.. This will help alot. Just buy a decent brand, I use Hushmat.. Cheap & works great.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.