97 Dodge Caravan Sport *new vehicle*/ Malibu build PGS 1-22

Just went through all 8 pages and I LOVE IT! Sounded great in those vids too! You aren't the only one who loves Parts Express! They get lots of my $$! lol.

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

Just went through all 8 pages and I LOVE IT! Sounded great in those vids too! You aren't the only one who loves Parts Express! They get lots of my $$! lol.

Thx Colin. I agree with you on partsexpress. I can't get off their site without spending at least a hundred bux. With all the deals it's hard not to.

I have some new pics to show you guys. The wall has been started. Let me start out by saying I am feeling the noobness when it comes to this project. I really didn't want to build a simple square box because it would require me to lose some legroom by having to make it deeper. In retrospect it would've been much easier. That being said, here is how far I got today.

I gutted almost all of the foam out of the car. (Poor attempt at mass loading)The board you see attached is a 2x3 of white pine. There are carriage bolts that go through the sheetmetal which have nuts and washers on the other side. You can see I drilled a hole off and had to do another one. No biggie

010-3.jpg

After that was attached I cut a couple 2x3 24" in a staggered config; toenailed them to the top board. There is a small instep on the board so when the sides of the wall go in I have something to screw into.

012-3.jpg

011-5.jpg

After that I attached a piece of mdf to the support. I had to make it smaller on either side due to the funky angles and transitions. A small piece of mdf will cover the gap on either side and a small part of the wheel hub will be fiberglassed to complete the rear of the box.

014-2.jpg

To seal up the lower portion I used another 2x3 to run the span which connects to the steps on either side. A small shelf 5" deep and 48" wide was attached to that.

015-4.jpg

Another piece was installed on the face of it that continues to the seat pans. I fixed the screw above just forgot to take another pic. The wood was alot softer than I thought.

018-2.jpg

Thats as far as I got before my knee started growling and the battery died in the drill. I think I have a handle on what I want out of it although getting the top and sides to come together is going to be a big challenge. The baffle will actually be two pieces with a large port in the center. It will be double baffled. The box will be hit with some resin, cloth, and matte to strengthen it. There also might be additional layers of mdf and 2x3's to reinforce it. This will depend on tuning and if I am happy with the rigidity of it once it's finished.

Please take it easy on me guys. This is my first big project. I should have a video up late tonight or tomorrow morning.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

I'm not sure. I know I will be adding at least 300 lbs. back there. The subs for their size are relatively light.~17lbs. It's the mdf and batteries that worries me. I hate to say finish it and see where she sits but that may be what I have to do. This is all so new to me so it should be a big learning experience for sure.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

Where did you run your first 1/0 cable through? Did you use a pre-existing hole in the firewall or did you drill a hole?

I had to drill a hole above the wiring harness. It is to the left of the steering boot and dirctly above the harness. There is a large open space that is perfect for it. In this space there is plenty of open space to pull it through to the battery. I did scratch my arm up on the master cylinder though. Lol

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

• 1 month later...

Long overdue update... I haven't put much money into the project the last two months. I do have some progress on the wall. I actually have alot more done than this video but no baffle yet. lol

I am changing up the frontstage. I'll be using those drivers I originally got for a couple home projects I will post in the home audio section this winter. The new setup will be a two way system. I found a great horn setup that will fit in the car. The compression drivers are the d220ti's http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-270&scqty=2 along with this horn which I'll have to trim to remove some height http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-318&scqty=2

I found a pair of high sens. Eminence 10" that are within a 16th of an inch of the oldies that should drop right into the door panels. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=290-412

I'll post a couple pics and another video tommorrow.

peace

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

Archived