Sonic Electronix

Well lately, when I would play my music for a while I would smell a burning wood smell. I looked around, and never figured out what it was. I took the subs out tonight and all is fine, no burnt coils all ohm readings good. Well as I am taking out the bolt through my box I find this.

f1c01a37.jpg

The bolt broke while I was trying to get the nut off.

39cd6ee0.jpg

The copper on the wire burned the plastic around it.

Now my question is what caused this? Is it a bad ground (hole burned is negative side).

Here is a picture of my ground (I did not put it there, it was put there by shop who ran the wires. My parents didn't trust me to install it.)

99d0f267.jpg

it is all sanded off under the ground. Please if you have a solution shoot it at me. I am getting all new wires to run from the amp to the subs.

2003 Chevy Blazerkenwood headunit4 ga. kicker wiringAQ1200D amp2 12" DC LVL 3'sStinger Volt MeterMy Build LogBlazer is no longer. Totaled 02/14/2012drew.png

no. this is for converting dc to ac. useful if you want to run a blender inside your car.

Probably a bad ground because those idiots used a self tapper and not a nut and bolt. Take a better picture of where the ground is because from in that picture it can be anywhere.

Kinda looks like it's on a very thin piece of metal.

Edited by Rebel4055

Rest In Peace mother.

January 22, 1955 - February 14, 2013

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/user/35351-megrch/

Its under the back seat. They cut a spot in the carpet and peeled everything away from the metal.

2003 Chevy Blazerkenwood headunit4 ga. kicker wiringAQ1200D amp2 12" DC LVL 3'sStinger Volt MeterMy Build LogBlazer is no longer. Totaled 02/14/2012drew.png

no. this is for converting dc to ac. useful if you want to run a blender inside your car.

Its under the back seat. They cut a spot in the carpet and peeled everything away from the metal.

What car is this and I would ground to the strut tower, or run a neg run from battery to amp.

Seen you had a blazer? If you do I would ground right to the frame.

Edited by Rebel4055

Rest In Peace mother.

January 22, 1955 - February 14, 2013

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/user/35351-megrch/

Alright. I will see what I can work with on this. I just ordered some new wire for the subs. I should have waited so I could pick up some more ground wire. (only have about 3 or 4 feet)

more than likely it was the broken bolt.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

The bolt wasn't broken.. The nut was burned and it seized on there, and I broke it trying to get it loose.

Edit: If I cannot get it to the frame would it be alright to ground it there if I drilled it and put a bolt and nut there?

Edited by drewb53

does your ground get hot?

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

I have felt my wires and everything, but never knew what the problem was. I am not sure, I am assuming that the bolt has to get hell of hot in order to burn that.