Sonic Electronix

i've got an 01' mercury sable (similar to a taurus) and my zx 2500.1 is obviously a little much for the stock electrical system to handle.

i've asked around and got mixed answers, but most of the local "experts" are from best buy...

i'm going to do the big 3 upgrade first in hopes that that fixes everything (i'm doubtful but it's worth a shot when youre on a budget)

but in the likely case that that does not solve all my problems, what would you do; new battery, or new alternator?

or maybe keep the stock battery and add a second batt for the trunk?

maybe even doubling up alts?

i'm fairly new to the topic so keep it as simple as possible.

also, are there anything you would recommend?

price is a pretty big factor.

thanks!

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

what kind of battery do you have under the hood now a normal car batt or a yellow top

ha i wish i had a yellowtop!

but no everything under the hood is stock.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

Upgrade the alternator to a decent amperage.(220-250amps)

don't get alts which are too cheap , they are most of the time unrelaible and wont do rated power.

do you have any suggestions that would work for my car?

if i kept my stock alt and just added the new one to my system? would there be any compatibility problems? and would installation costs just defeat the purpose?

More box builds

I'm with captain stupid.

or would a better battery be able to hold a charge longer so the alternator can keep up?

More box builds

I'm with captain stupid.

First of all what size is your stock alt? I would do the big 3 first (0ga) cause it wont hurt anything doing it, plus if you do get an alt u'll already have that done. I would do the big three and replace ur stock battery with one thats better suited for car audio like XS, Kinetik, Optima YT to name a few and then i'd add one in the back also, if you still are getting major current draw ( i.e. lights dimming, bad voltage drop) then i'd start to look at an alt, like DC or Mechman, i had a blazer with a 200a alt no big 3 (this is b4 i knew what that was) a YT up front and a Stinger Batt in back and i had no more light dimming issues what so ever, idk how much drop i had though cause i was more noobish back then ,than i am now. Even replacing ur batts and doing no alt u are most likely gonna have to check (and charge if need be) you batteries to keep them fresh.

Simply

1. Big 3, 0ga is a must do it right the first time.

2. Replace stock Batt and add another Batt in back.

3. replace alt if you contiue to have problems with ur electrical.

TDHRIP_zps8bedfde5.jpg

06 Impala SS
Kenwood Excelon DDX593

Ampere Audio 150.4

Ampere Audio 5K
1 XS D4700 (front)
Mechman 320a Alt. w/ Big 3

Lots of Second Skin Damplifier

Under Construction for 2017

First of all what size is your stock alt? I would do the big 3 first (0ga) cause it wont hurt anything doing it, plus if you do get an alt u'll already have that done. I would do the big three and replace ur stock battery with one thats better suited for car audio like XS, Kinetik, Optima YT to name a few and then i'd add one in the back also, if you still are getting major current draw ( i.e. lights dimming, bad voltage drop) then i'd start to look at an alt, like DC or Mechman, i had a blazer with a 200a alt no big 3 (this is b4 i knew what that was) a YT up front and a Stinger Batt in back and i had no more light dimming issues what so ever, idk how much drop i had though cause i was more noobish back then ,than i am now. Even replacing ur batts and doing no alt u are most likely gonna have to check (and charge if need be) you batteries to keep them fresh.

Simply

1. Big 3, 0ga is a must do it right the first time.

2. Replace stock Batt and add another Batt in back.

3. replace alt if you contiue to have problems with ur electrical.

what if i kept the stock batt up front and then added a batt in the back purely for the sound system?

also, i've heard a rumor that doing a 2 batt setup on a stock alt puts a lot of stress on the alt. is this true?

thanks

More box builds

I'm with captain stupid.

you can put a battery in the trunk, just make sure to attach it to the front battery by a piece of 0 gauge on the + terminal, and preferably 0 gauge on the - terminals too, although you can just bolt a short piece of 0 gauge from the rear battery to a STRONG piece of metal (such as a strut tower or something similar) that has the paint sanded off so its shiny as hell.