Second Skin Audio

Box Design Help

thegreat22

I want to build a box 42W 20H 16D ported tuned to 29-32hz. I have all the tools. Just need help with the port. The subs will be 4 rockford fosgate p3 10's. This will be my first box built. I want subs back port back. All help is appreciated thanks guys

If you have about the right power for what they are rated then go with an L port type box. With those dimensions do a port with 18.5" height 4" width and 35" deep. This will get tuning to 32hz with 4.35 net cubic feet before bracing/sub displacement.

With 17 square inches per cubic foot like above you should give the subs a little less power than they are rated at.

i resolve to be a nicer moderator.

Tercel build R.I.P.

Eclipse build Old New

V-Dub

My feedback.

If you have about the right power for what they are rated then go with an L port type box. With those dimensions do a port with 18.5" height 4" width and 35" deep. This will get tuning to 32hz with 4.35 net cubic feet before bracing/sub displacement.

Which you need to take into account. I actually got 6.28ft^3 gross air space. Take off 1.78ft^3(4.75"x18.5"x35" / 1728) for the 35" long port(assuming you meant 35" long inside the box), and you have 4.5ft^3 before sub and port displacement. Assuming .08ft^3 displacement for each sub, and .1ft^3 for bracing, you end up with about 4.1ft^3 with a 34hz tuning.

If he keeps the same port length but changes the port width to 3.5", it'll give him ~4.25ft^3 after all displacements and a 31hz tuning...just an option if he's looking for a little more low-end.

Ryan Miskin - owner of RAM Designs

I have my PM's turned off, please email at <script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>

2200+ designs since March 2011...

Lows over mid-high notes any day. Manual says sub displacement is .074 Does that change anything. Ram or anybody that's willing can you hook me up with a sketch? Should I place the dowels from top to bottom, front to back or both? Would it make a difference if I add an .5-1 inch to the depth or is the current plan efficient for the subs? Sorry for the questions just want to get this box done right.

Archived