Sonic Electronix

would a second batt be too hard on stock alt?

hey everyone.

I've got a 2001 mercury sable LS premium. it's a 3.0L V6 and it says something like 24 valve DOHC if that helps.

basically it's a taurus with a mercury logo on it.

i've been trying to find what the stock alternator's output is and i can't seem to find any definitive results. i'm seeing OEM replacements that say they're 110 amps but i don't know if that's a reliable number.

so with that being said, i've heard rumors that if you wanna run two batteries, you will need a HO alternator because it puts too much stress on the stock alt. i'm going to be running a zx2500.1 at 2 ohms soon and my HU is already shutting off (i assume it's due to voltage drop) on me when i'm running it at 4 ohms and turn it up a little too much.

right now everyting under my hood is stock but i plan on doing the big 3 soon.

if i add a second battery it will likely be an xs power d1200 (unless anyone has a better suggestion) and i will run my system on that.

so is this rumor true, false, plausible, confirmed or busted?

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

It only takes 5-10 amps to maintain a battery's charge, however if you are gonna be demoing all day it could be hard on you stock alt since you are running a 2500rms amp, so if it runs you XS battery down low, it can stress the alt since it has to bring the battery back to full charge, you shouldnt need a HO alt if you only plan on demoing for minutes at a time, but IMO you should look into a bit larger battery, I used to have a Kinetik HC2000 with about 1200rms and I never dropped below 14 volts with a stock 110amp alt, but in your case I would save up for a D3100 as it will feed the zx.2500 well, and leave you some room to upgrade later.

¿ǝɯɐƃ ǝɥʇ

Trolls never learn............

All BS aside, If I see one more comment in here that is NOT about the pre-sale, I will start the vacations. And that includes the trolls feeding the trolls.

YOU THE ONE THAT SOUND LIKE A OGER AND HUMPBACK/TROLLS?

Add "SMDLIFER" on Xbox LIVE to play with other SMD members.

it's more of a daily driver. i listen to it when i'm driving places so it's usually not on full force for more than 30 minutes at a time.

but in the event that i do have it on for a couple hours at a time while driving in the city would the d1200 not be substantial for my setup?

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

I have a similar question. Would 2 Yellow Top Optimas be good enough for two 2600 watt 2 channel amps with a stock alternator?

I'm not shy, I'm just hiding how awesome I am so I don't intimidate you.

4 DVC 15" Lanzar Heritage Subwoofers

2 Soundstorm Labs 2600.2 Amplifiers

2 Yellow Top Optima Batteries

1 8 Farad Soundstream Capacitor

12 Inch Motorized Flipdown Screen

Black Suede Roofline

id replace ur batt under the hood & at least the d1200 in back also.

make sure to have multiple runs of wire front to back & also ground the back batt separately... :good: .

i'm 18. going to college this fall. work part time for 300 every two weeks. my CAR was meant to be owned by people with grand kids. i'm not doing competitions.

i'm not sure i could justify spending 600 bucks on batteries.

More box builds

I'm with captain stupid.

honestly bro i have the same amp, and i have a ho alt and a khc1400 in the back and its no anywhere near good enough. the amp is power hungry. i would look into a bigger batt in the batt and a bigger batt up front with your stock alt. becuase with only a xs 1200 you will see a lot of voltage drop. hope this helps

2000 tahoe

orion hcca 15.4

kicker zx2500

2 JL 300/4s

infinity and kicker mids/highs

KHC1400 in back, stock upfront

dont ask about my HU

clarion EQ

kicker/fosgate rcas

honestly bro i have the same amp, and i have a ho alt and a khc1400 in the back and its no anywhere near good enough. the amp is power hungry. i would look into a bigger batt in the batt and a bigger batt up front with your stock alt. becuase with only a xs 1200 you will see a lot of voltage drop. hope this helps

so what would be my best options? what if i kept stock battery and a d3400 in the back?

i mean at some point, wouldn't it be more effective to just invest in a HO alt and get a smaller batt in the back?

i've got a max of 400 i'd like to spend on this whole upgrade

i'm really not seeing myself going berserk with this whole deal. i could probably only tolerate half power for just daily listening.

Edited by 412 CVX

More box builds

I'm with captain stupid.

so what would be my best options? what if i kept stock battery and a d3400 in the back?

i mean at some point, wouldn't it be more effective to just invest in a HO alt and get a smaller batt in the back?

i've got a max of 400 i'd like to spend on this whole upgrade

i'm really not seeing myself going berserk with this whole deal. i could probably only tolerate half power for just daily listening.

the 3400 is only 67 AH (ive been told this number is best to look at) the 1400 is 60 AH so still your gonna have bad voltage drop

2000 tahoe

orion hcca 15.4

kicker zx2500

2 JL 300/4s

infinity and kicker mids/highs

KHC1400 in back, stock upfront

dont ask about my HU

clarion EQ

kicker/fosgate rcas