Second Skin Audio

few questions about box

so i was wondering is 9.2ft^3 after port enough for 4 12's and how many inches away from the hatch does the box need to be, what ive heard is no less than 3 inches. also could i just double the wood instead of bracing?

2.3 c/f per sub AFTER displacement it´s perfect for a lot of 12" subs, after a few testings i can tell you that, for example, my crossfire BMF likes barely 1.75 c/f , what subs are you gonna use???

Anyways, about the distance, lots of people says that you need at least one of the measures of the port opening, for example, if you have a port 22" x 5" , then you need at least 5" from the hatch, for me this is only a myth, in A LOT of testings,i´ve found that my explorer likes the port no more than 4" away, we are talking about a 14.5 x 9 port by the way, while my swift the further the port is from the hatch the louder it is, my point is, that maybe generally speaking, you would be ok with at least 4" from hatch maybe?? I dunno :clapping:

About double baffle, yes you can do it, but it´s more expensive,nothing like a good old threaded rod :pardon:

Edited by fecupe2001

I´m the SPL Gains topic creator!! wanna get louder?? check this: SPL Gains. Panamenian 2009 & 2010 & 2014 Bass Race 149.9 Champion!

2 15" subs and a 2K wired at 1 ohm, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167788-fecupe2001-2-15s-on-a-2k-video-on-page-3/

8 Massive 15" subs and small power, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179296-fecupe2001s-8-15s-4th-order-bandpass-wall/

so i was wondering is 9.2ft^3 after port enough for 4 12's and how many inches away from the hatch does the box need to be, what ive heard is no less than 3 inches. also could i just double the wood instead of bracing?

2.3 c/f per sub AFTER displacement it´s perfect for a lot of 12" subs, after a few testings i can tell you that, for example, my crossfire BMF likes barely 1.75 c/f , what subs are you gonna use???

Anyways, about the distance, lots of people says that you need at least one of the measures of the port opening, for example, if you have a port 22" x 5" , then you need at least 5" from the hatch, for me this is only a myth, in A LOT of testings,i´ve found that my explorer likes the port no more than 4" away, we are talking about a 14.5 x 9 port by the way, while my swift the further the port is from the hatch the louder it is, my point is, that maybe generally speaking, you would be ok with at least 4" from hatch maybe?? I dunno :clapping:

About double baffle, yes you can do it, but it´s more expensive,nothing like a good old threaded rod :pardon:

im gonna get sa 12's and as for my port its 4.25x33 and so doubling the wood will be just as fine correct?

To be on the safe side you should brace it too I know that threaded rod can get expensive fast I spent over $55 for my box and I didn't even get nuts because home depot was out of stock

Btw that was the first person. Ever banned by me while dropping a deuce. Feel privileged

I´ve never used SA´s , but if i remember correctly, their sweet box size it´s 1.5 cubic feet per sub man, you should research a little bit more about this, i don´t think they like 2.3 cubic feet, PM derrick,jacob fuller or someone that uses SA-12´s...

I´m the SPL Gains topic creator!! wanna get louder?? check this: SPL Gains. Panamenian 2009 & 2010 & 2014 Bass Race 149.9 Champion!

2 15" subs and a 2K wired at 1 ohm, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167788-fecupe2001-2-15s-on-a-2k-video-on-page-3/

8 Massive 15" subs and small power, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179296-fecupe2001s-8-15s-4th-order-bandpass-wall/

I´ve never used SA´s , but if i remember correctly, their sweet box size it´s 1.5 cubic feet per sub man, you should research a little bit more about this, i don´t think they like 2.3 cubic feet, PM derrick,jacob fuller or someone that uses SA-12´s...

they ask for 1.75 and 2.25ft^3 and after bracing dont you think the box will be just right for them?

Yes it could be, but once again, i haven´t work with that sub, i´m pretty sure guys over here said that sub loves small boxes, i might be wrong, i would wait for someone with more experience on the SA-12 to jump in and give you an input :pardon:

Yes it could be, but once again, i haven´t work with that sub, i´m pretty sure guys over here said that sub loves small boxes, i might be wrong, i would wait for someone with more experience on the SA-12 to jump in and give you an input :pardon:

when i add bracing what kind of wood would i need to use? and would i just need to put it down the middle with the subs?

the bracing is really up to you just make sure you account for the displacement the more bracing you have the stronger the box will be in this case its better to have too much than not enough i build a box without enough bracing before and the pair of 18s i had in it almost blew it apart

Btw that was the first person. Ever banned by me while dropping a deuce. Feel privileged