Second Skin Audio

Need some guidance on designing a 4th Order BP

Hey guys... I have been pondering on this for some time and finally think i am going to go ahead and try to do a 4th order BP wall. I will be using (4) 15" DC XL's and (2) SAZ3500d's. The vehicle is a 2005 GMC Envoy. I need some guidance on how to determine the recommended air space for the sealed and ported chambers and how to calculate the port size for proper tuning. This will also be my first attempt at a wall as well. I am not rushing into this at all. I am currently in Iraq and i wont start my build until mid-late summer. I want to take this time to learn as much as possible to prepare for this.

My goal is to design a street beater tuned in low 30's and be very efficient for daily use as well as demoing at shows etc. So if anyone could give some guidance or PM me if you are willing to do up some designs for a reasonable price please hit me up. Thanks in advance.

'05 GMC Envoy

H/U: PIONEER AVH P4300DVD

Subs: (8) SA-12's

Amps: (2) SAZ3500d's

MECHMAN 270A Alt and 5 Batteries with lots of 1/0

If you're doing a bandpass you won't be tuned in the low 30's..

c'mon now, if i was shooting an 8 year old, it wouldnt be MY 8 year old.

i recently got a Pyle PL1590BL and i was building an enclosure for it tuned to 25 hz. i didn't have any tools to cut a circle so i hit it with a big hammer.

2003 Infiniti G35 Sport Sedan

Build in Progress

Ok... Im a noob to bandpass enclosures. How/ what freq. range are they normally tuned at?

'05 GMC Envoy

Ok... Im a noob to bandpass enclosures. How/ what freq. range are they normally tuned at?

This is a learning curve for me :trippy:

'05 GMC Envoy

i got mine tuned at 45 hz right now, just as an example. and it still plays WELL into the teens.

theres not much issue with unloading under tuning with a 4th order so you don't have to tune low to keep the cones under control through the range of music. not to mention that if you tune low you kill your output dramaticly... like i said. google for "winisd" .. get it.. play with it.. you'll see.

i got mine tuned at 45 hz right now, just as an example. and it still plays WELL into the teens.

theres not much issue with unloading under tuning with a 4th order so you don't have to tune low to keep the cones under control through the range of music. not to mention that if you tune low you kill your output dramaticly... like i said. google for "winisd" .. get it.. play with it.. you'll see.

ahhh I see. that makes sense. I just assumed that they were tuned that way since i have seen tons of videos of them beating like crazy on some low stuff with out an issue. I will check it out. Thank you.

'05 GMC Envoy

• 2 weeks later...

I have been messing around with WinISD and so far i have came up with a Vr = 10ft^3 net, thats 2.6ft^3 per woofer in its own chamber. Vf = 10.65ft^3 net tuned to 48Hz. with 152 sq in. of port. But i have read alot of people have built 4th order Bp's using a 2:1 ratio, even 3:1 ported to sealed with huge amounts of port area. When i try entering something around that ratio in WinISD the plot show a very peaky response. Right now im at about a 1:1 ratio and my F3(l)is around 35Hz and the F3(h) is at 57Hz, and a -1 dB gain. Since i am very new to this can anyone tell me if i am on the right track. Thanks!

'05 GMC Envoy