Sonic Electronix

Hi guys I wanted to know what I could possibly do to lessen my voltage drops when playing music. During idle, the voltage stays around 12.8V and drops to around 10V on full tilt. I know that I definitely need to do the "big 3" upgrade but will that alone do the trick or what else should I be considering?

Big 4, batteries, alt, mla, vcm,

Could you clarify on the fourth wire upgrade and the last two things you mentioned for me please?

I think he was either kiddig about the 4 or typo... High output alternator, a secondary batter or multiple batteries depending on system needs, mla voltage modular and XS power VCN

you win some, you lose some

I won't argue with that. The car is 17 years old and the alternator has never been replaced so I wouldn't be surprised but thank you anyway. Just for my knowledge, what should my voltage reside at during idle with a normal alternator?

Well on a normal car it's around 14.2 to 14.8, depending on temperature. It will fix your voltage drop, i promise it. If you can afford it, look into MechMan or DC Power.

~13.5 to ~14.5

But it should still be charging at 12.8 iirc 12v batteries can charge starting ~12.7

If i'm not mistaken with the research I just did, aren't those two basically the same thing except one allows for a more finer tuning?

Edited by KevinniveK