'91 Civic hatchback wall build

Let me start by saying that this will not be a really expensive, extravagant build. My son, who is 13, and I are both into car audio, and we will be doing this project together. We are hoping to have a system that really hits the low notes, but can still do a decent TL number, without breaking the bank. Sort of a "budget build" if you will.

The car is a 1991 Honda Civic hatchback that I picked up a couple of years ago. It idled funny, and the driver's window regulator was messed up, so the owner bought another car and just wanted to get rid of this one. I gave $400 for it, drove it home, and had it idling and running perfect in just a few minutes (someone had jacked with the throttle cable, and the butterfly valve was hanging too far open at idle, causing an air leak). Still on the lookout for a window regulator, however......

SANY0451.jpg

Even though this build will have a limited budget, a wall is what we want (since we never really use this car anyway, it won't be an issue to not be able to use the back for storage or seating).

SANY0447-1.jpg

SANY0452.jpg

SANY0453.jpg

SANY0455.jpg

SANY0457.jpg

Looks good so far. Gotta love a wall in a hatch.

3d7304fe.jpgDCSig.jpg

TEAM TRUTH HERTZ

DC LVL5 12

DD M1C

American Bass Mids/Highs

XS Power D3400 and D3100

Ohio Generator 270 alt

MECA Illinois Event Director

DC Audio Sales Rep

American Bass Distributor

Audio Technix Dealer

Incriminator Audio Dealer

Since this build is already underway, I'll just throw up some random pics.

We started this build with the intentions of using 6 12s, but we quickly came to the realization that there was not enough baffle area to allow that to happen and still have a port of decent size. So, with a little research, we settled on 4 15s (which actually have more cone area than 6 12s......go figure).

Building the port:

SANY0463.jpg

SANY0471.jpg

SANY0472.jpg

Disclaimer: My MDF cutting skills are not the greatest, so no making fun. This box, even though every cut isn't perfect, will be STRONG when it is completed. You'll see.....

Some goodies:

SANY0473.jpg

SANY0475.jpg

Big 3 upgrade in progress:

SANY0477.jpg

SANY0476.jpg

Two of the four subs:

SANY0469-1.jpg

DD 1515s. I have no idea about these subs. I know DD doesn't make junk, but these are the cheapest 15s they produce, so we will see. I've heard their 3500 series and 9500 series subs, and they are awesome, but I don't know anyone who has the 1500 series subs. Planning on giving each sub about 700 watts or so, and they are rated for 500 rms, so we are hoping for the best.

Perfect power for them subs bro...loving the whole father-son part...i have a daughter so unless she turns into a boy one night im on my own...

Yep. And thanks. At this stage of the game, I'm just glad he still wants to hang out with dad at all. My 18-yr old son is hardly ever around anymore, so it's just him and me on this build. I have a 16-yr old daughter as well, and she likes nice systems and loves electronics, but she doesn't much care for the garage.......or sawdust.....

We are planning on using a pair of Audiopipe AP15001D amps (budget build, remember?). One amp on each pair of subs. Subs are dual 4 ohm, so the amp will see a one ohm load when wired in parallel.

you will be happy with that alt. you got it from alterstart right? i bought a 170 amp and i can say enough about as of right now. nice build

I got the alt off Ebay, from HiAmps Alternators or something like that. It's a 190 amp. I threw it on the car last night (had to remove the oil filter, lower alt bracket, and driver's side axle to get this thing in there!), and it works fine so far. Better voltage than the stock 60 amp alt, and doesn't drop as much with headlights, blower moter, etc on.

I'm planning on using a couple of new diesel truck batteries (since I already have them) in the back, in addition to the stock battery in front. Budget build dictates that I can't go buy multiple dry-cells..... so I'll use what I already have. Better than nothing. Only gonna be running about 3000 watts anyway, so maybe it'll be ok.

I'm loving the Civic in your sig. Cool color. What year is that?

More port. Rounding the end:

SANY0481.jpg

It's in there. Heater added for your convenience, as well as to help dry the glue and wood filler:

SANY0483-1.jpg

Dowel rod to brace it up. Wood filler at the ends:

SANY0484.jpg

great build man, but i have a question about your alt. i had one from those same guys for my car and it was absolutely terrible. it took ~3 seconds for it to actually detect a load and output more power, and at idle i would constantly drop down to low 12's high 11's. do you have the same problem?

Archived