Second Skin Audio

Well I had a local audio shop built an enclosure for me last year. It was great until a a month ago.

The back of the box was leaking, a few of the screw heads holding the bracing broke off.

I took it in and let them have it for a few hours and all I could tell was that he put a bunch of extra screws in,

it stopped the leak for a couple weeks and is now doing it again. The builder told me the only other thing he could do

is add more bracing to the inside which would cut down my net volume.

My question is, is this a common practice? I paid for an 8 cu. ft. box, shouldn't he be required to provide me with

that free of leaks?

I bought a life time warranty on this, figured it would cover such things.

I appreciate any insight in advance.

03' Element

Stolen!

never have heard of a warranty for an enclosure before personally, but yes he should rebuild another free of charge unless stated in a agreement since it failed from him no building it properly the first time.

1998 Monte Carlo Z34

Stock HU but have replacement

Stock Highs

Stock Electrical

BTL 18 sitting naked

AP1500D

that is weird havent heard of tht either. but if you paid and got lifetime warrenty, then aside from YOU breaking it, he needs to fix it or keep fixing it. or build you a new one. not your fault the box wasent built better

2000 tahoe

orion hcca 15.4

kicker zx2500

2 JL 300/4s

infinity and kicker mids/highs

KHC1400 in back, stock upfront

dont ask about my HU

clarion EQ

kicker/fosgate rcas

Did he use just screws or nails? Or did he use glue? Did he seal it with resin/silicon/ any other thing?

Bassless once again. Can't seem to keep a system for more than a few weeks :)

Saving for a '06 Nissan 350z, look for build around June 2012.

how is it leaking? the glue should be holding the panels together.

I think it is coming loose again at the bracing and allowing the rear to flex. That's what I was told was happening to it the last time I brought it in.

And I still have my copies of receipts showing I bought a lifetime warranty. I don't believe I could have caused this box any harm, he knew which subs were going in there and should have built it accordingly.

03' Element

Stolen!

Did he use just screws or nails? Or did he use glue? Did he seal it with resin/silicon/ any other thing?

Well it smelled like glue when I first got the enclosure so I know it was glued then but when I took it back in for repair all I can tell he did was add like 10 more screws.

03' Element

Stolen!

Is there glue currently bonding the wood together?

I would suggest sealing it off yourself externally, go grab you a tube of silicon and have at it. It would only cost like $5, so it is worth a shot.

Is there glue currently bonding the wood together?

I would suggest sealing it off yourself externally, go grab you a tube of silicon and have at it. It would only cost like $5, so it is worth a shot.

That sounds like the easiest thing to do, just don't want to somehow void my warranty. If I'm SOL here and can't get it fixed I'll give that a shot. Just hoping I don't have to settle for something just because it's easier for them to do it that way.

Oh and it was glued when first built so that is still there but there was no new glue added, just more screws

Edited by MyLimpIsGangsta

03' Element

Stolen!

You shouldn't have to settle, you purchased a product from them with a warranty, they should honor it and do all in their power to fix the problem.

This is why I like building my own box, I can alter it any way I see fit. And that includes putting a shit ton of silicon and glue lol! :D