Second Skin Audio

What ohm load would my subs be seeing?

I have two 4 ohm DVC subs and instead of wiring them together then putting it on the channels of my two channel amp I just put the two positives together on the first channel positive and the negatives together on the negative of the second channel. What ohm would they be seeing?

The same ohm load as if you put all the positives to the amp, and all the negatives to the amp...

Edit: 2ohm load...thats a parellell wiring, therefore you divide the ohm load of your voice coils by the number of voice coils you have. If you wire them in series, which is one positive to another negative, then the left positive and negative to the amp, then you take the ohm load of you voice coils, and multiply it by the number of voice coils...in your instance a series wiring would have an 8 ohm load.

Edited by BakermanINC

mivtCK.png

If each coil is 4 ohms, parallel the coils to the amp and your amp will see a 2 ohm load on each channel.

There's nothing really wrong doing it like that, but to ensure each sub gets identical signals, I would consider wiring the coils of each sub in series, bridging your amp and running the two subs parallel to the amp. If you use an enclosure with a chamber shared between the subs I highly recommend wiring this way.

good luck

EDIT: um i think i read your OP wrong. Sounds like you're bridging and runing 1 coil of each sub parallel??? by my math it sounds like your amp is seeing 2 ohm bridged.. hope it's rated to handle that... If you put the + of both coils of each sub to 1st ch + and the - of each coil to the second ch -... your amp is seeing 1 ohm bridged or .5 ohm each channel. Don't know of a lot of amps that can pull that off...

Edited by srp365

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

Alright, I know it's a stupid question but I wasn't sure of the answer..

No stupid question...thats what the forum is for...to get advice about stuff you don't know from people who do know it.

mivtCK.png

Alright well I have one more question in a gray area for me. For the dual coils should I use both terminals on the sub or just one for this wiring?

And this isn't being used on good stuff it's basically really low budget equipment I have till I can get the money together for better.

Alright well I have one more question in a gray area for me. For the dual coils should I use both terminals on the sub or just one for this wiring?

And this isn't being used on good stuff it's basically really low budget equipment I have till I can get the money together for better.

Um, definitely use both coils to maximize power handling and output. Wire each sub in series (+ on one coil to - on other coil, then the unused + and - go to the amp, which will make your subs each 8 ohm) then wire both subs parallel to your amp in bridged configuration (look on the label and it will tell you). Safe for most amps... what amp are you running???

2007 Pacifica

are you guys figuring in box rise too? just because his subs are wired to 2 ohms doesnt mean his amp will see 2 ohms

I'm not sure we're at that level yet... worrying about impedance rise in his box. Lets get the basics right.

2007 Pacifica

A boss chaos CX950 that I have had problems and now it just keeps going into protect. Oh well looks like I'm gonna have to get my DC and AQ setup sooner then I thought. And before the bashing begins I got my current stuff before coming to this site I know it's not the best but it did good for me while it lasted.