Sonic Electronix

Looking for sub, cheap 600 setup in total!

So my last setup cost me in total, $300 dollars. I'm trying to put together another setup now.

The type of music I listen to is mostly rock/indie and rap. I dont plan to compete in any spl contests nor am I crazy about insane bass. I listen at normal levels or slightly louder. My friend has 2 kicker 12's and for daily use it gets annoying at times. I'm looking for a setup that sounds better than the average car. (It be rly cool if I could get it to sound nicer than my dads maxima which has a bose system, I know its not the best system but it's better than most)

I'm also trying to make this a pretty cheap setup since I will be doing everything myself so if I mess something up at least it wont be expensive. Plus I'm a college kid and I dont have $$$ to spend on a lot of audio gear. I'm looking into a 4 channel amp, gonna amp the front speakers and bridge 2 channels for the sub. I'm gonna leave the rears alone for now. So here is what I'm thinking....

Front components: Cadence CWM-6KIT Aluminum 6.5" Component Kit $70

Amp: MB Quart ONX4.125 $150

HU: Sony CDX-GT350MP $85

Amp kit: Knu konceptz 4g amp kit, I'll also wire all the speakers with 12g speaker wire. $110

I'll get a custom ported box, tuned around 35hz prob. But I can't decide on a sub. The amp will produce 500watts rms at 4 ohms. I was one of these 3:

SKAR Audio VVX-12 (idc about the guy being a scammer, I hear they are good for the $)

TC Sounds Epic 12

Maybe a Sundown sa12 or DC level 2. (the sundown is expensive and the level 2 might not have the DVC option i need)

All those subs are rated at 500rms, while the Skar is 500rms. Will only giving it 500rms power be okay? I'm looking for a sub that can play lows decently well.

So guys, I'm looking to spend around $600 total. Can you suggest a 500rms @ 4ohm 12 inch sub? And can you improve on my setup at all? Maybe suggest another part for around the same price that would be better or cost less?

Thanks!

Edited by Moofs

If you happen to get an amp that makes it's power at 2 ohms, I can sell you have an IA 187 that will take 500rms no sweat.

¿ǝɯɐƃ ǝɥʇ

Trolls never learn............

All BS aside, If I see one more comment in here that is NOT about the pre-sale, I will start the vacations. And that includes the trolls feeding the trolls.

YOU THE ONE THAT SOUND LIKE A OGER AND HUMPBACK/TROLLS?

Add "SMDLIFER" on Xbox LIVE to play with other SMD members.

If you happen to get an amp that makes it's power at 2 ohms, I can sell you have an IA 187 that will take 500rms no sweat.

haha thanks! That was actually the sub I planned to get when I was gonna run a 2 amp setup but in the end it cost like 200$ more than this setup (800 instead of 600). The 187s r sick.

Well if you decide you want a 187 I have a Dual 4 12" that I can sell you for 80 shipped, it's used but still in great condition.

¿ǝɯɐƃ ǝɥʇ

Trolls never learn............

All BS aside, If I see one more comment in here that is NOT about the pre-sale, I will start the vacations. And that includes the trolls feeding the trolls.

YOU THE ONE THAT SOUND LIKE A OGER AND HUMPBACK/TROLLS?

Add "SMDLIFER" on Xbox LIVE to play with other SMD members.

So I'm between the Skar, a kicker CVR and the TC sounds sub now.

Which would you recommend?

Only thing that worries me is the TC apparently is a home theater sub? I mean, is that okay? What would the difference be?

Edited by Moofs

Hey guys, I got 2 concerns about this build.

1) What are your thoughts on the headunit? I was gonna get this sony unit since its cheap, has 2 pre amp outs and comes with all the install stuff. I mean I dont plan to run active or anything. And all I want to do is plug in my ipod and listen in terms of features I'm looking for.

Can any of you recommend me another HU if you feel this one isnt good. I dont wanna spend more than 100 on a HU. (130 MAX if its a much better HU)

Link: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_30079_Sony-CDX-GT350MP.html

2) I was gonna get knu speaker wire but then I came across this on ebay for cheaper, is this a legit buy? I know monster is good but I want to make sure it's not a knock off brand. I just need enough wire to hook up front components and a sub.

Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/MONSTER-CABLE-XLN-12S-18-36-FT-12-GAUGE-Speaker-Wire-/230613071278?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b19c35ae#ht_3809wt_1141

Hey guys, I got 2 concerns about this build.

1) What are your thoughts on the headunit? I was gonna get this sony unit since its cheap, has 2 pre amp outs and comes with all the install stuff. I mean I dont plan to run active or anything. And all I want to do is plug in my ipod and listen in terms of features I'm looking for.

Can any of you recommend me another HU if you feel this one isnt good. I dont wanna spend more than 100 on a HU. (130 MAX if its a much better HU)

Link: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_30079_Sony-CDX-GT350MP.html

2) I was gonna get knu speaker wire but then I came across this on ebay for cheaper, is this a legit buy? I know monster is good but I want to make sure it's not a knock off brand. I just need enough wire to hook up front components and a sub.

Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/MONSTER-CABLE-XLN-12S-18-36-FT-12-GAUGE-Speaker-Wire-/230613071278?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b19c35ae#ht_3809wt_1141

as far as the monster 12ga, thats fine to use, might be a little big actually for components but it will still work with both.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

If you're going to put the CVR in there, might as well put the type r in there. I had two of them and they treated me well, and one on 500 rms will do that exactly. Depends mostly on the box and tuning.

cougarlogobaby.png

2 18's Wall Build Under Construction

My YouTube

2000 Mercury Cougar Build Log

If you're going to put the CVR in there, might as well put the type r in there. I had two of them and they treated me well, and one on 500 rms will do that exactly. Depends mostly on the box and tuning.

Oh sorry, I should of said I decided to use the TC epic.

But im kinda leaning towards a sealed box.