Sonic Electronix

5v on the amplifier is NOT barely up, that's good be ATLEAST RMS, not to mention you probably don't have 5v preout headunit (2v is the norm) You want lows so you built a sealed box?! Do what others mentioned I'd start with a new box tuned to 30-32hz, also upgrade the power wire 4ga is way to small for the amplifier (it accepts 0ga all day.) Also what does your electrical look like? lows + high amps + stock electrical = massive voltage drop which will lead to clipping.

Take bass boost completely off no bass on the HU (bass should be 0 accross the board except on the amplifier) all FLAT eq settings on the HU set LPF to 70-80hz and Subsonic to 5hz below tuning. I'd also use a DMM to measure output if you don't have an oscope.

Do all of that and I gaurantee your problem goes away or atleast its less of a clip. Until then stop responding to your topic asking questions and what ifs because you gave you all the troubleshooting youll need.

Grand Cherokee

Team Backwoods Bumpers

DC 15" Level 3's /w 4 Coils

Pioneer deh4200ub

Pioneer 3-ways

Pioneer Tweeters

Pioneer GM-D9500F

Audiopipe 1500.1D @ 14.4v

Clarion Equalizer

Knuconeptz Kollosus 0ga

Knuconpetz Kollosus 4ga

Coming Soon: 270xp / xs1200

heres my 2 cents, yes its form a noob, sorry

at the least tune your gain with a DMM if you dont have an o-scope, its better than the ear-o-meter

i also suggest lpf to 70-100 mine is at 80

definitely no bass boost (common car audio phrase, if its not loud enough or doesnt hit hard enough, go bigger) if your not getting the response you want while setting things appropriately you need bigger and/or better equipment, dont risk clipping and such just to make it sound like its hitting harder, thats prolly cause its beating your subs to hell and not in a safe way

follow what others have said about your h/u as well, 50 mac volume, im not sure what brand that is, im sure kenwood is 35, pioneer is 60 i believe, i dont know about alpine, sony, etc but if its not a good brand h.u that can also be an issue or at the least be a helping hand in your problem

i am not going to suggest changing boxes because i dont know your background in box building (or prefab) although i prefer ported over sealed myself

set tuning with a dmm (quick little guide, hope i dont accidentally state anything wrong)

Set h/u top flat (eq settings to 0) although my h/u doesnt have a sub setting

on the amp, unhook the sub from the channel you are testing or from both if more than one hooked up (i think it works either way just fine)

set dmm top vac (that what it says on my dmm, could be acv maybe on others)

the equation to figure out the voltage to set the gain to is V = (square root)[RMS x ohm load] so you find the RMS you want to run and multiply that by the ohm load the subwoofers would be wired to then take the square root of that to get your V so here is an example: V = sqrt(200 (rms) x 2 (ohms)) that equals V=sqrt400 which then equals V=20 so to get the 200 rms at 2 ohms from the amp, set the gain until the DMM reads 20V, i normally set mine a tad lower

Be sure bass boost and gain are down

get a test tone cd, the one ive used is from PWK but i know there are others out there, for subwoofers i believe you use a 50hz tone, at least that is what i have seen recommended

so with that setup, play your tone, and slowly adjust gain so that it slowly moves up until it is at the voltage you desire (depends on how many rms at what ohm you are doing)

now if you have a subwoofer setting, i dont know what changes, i think if you have it up all the way and set the gain that way then it may be fine, but dont take my word for it im a noob

Archived