Sundown Audio

Help with two 4-channel amps!!!

davewms9605

Want to know the correct way to hook up my RCA's to two 4ch amps. My headunit is a Sony CDX-740UI with 3 sets of RCA's. I want to run one amp on my four 6inch mids and the other on 4 bullet tweets. The amps are 2- MB Quart ONX4.80's. Please help !!!

Current Setup:

Sony CDX-7401UI

2- 12" Alpine TypeR DVC2ohm Subs

Custom ported box

4-American Bass 6.5in SQ-6B Mids

4-Pioneer TS-T15 Tweeters

2-Crunch P1500.1 Mono Amps

2-runs 1/0 GA KnuKonceptz

KnuKonceptz RCA's

1-Stinger SPV44 Battery

Coming soon:

250 Amp Alt

Custom Door Panels

Second Skin Sound Deadner

All in my 1986 Monte Carlo SS!!!

Can SOMEBODY please help? Thought this was a help site as well? Bumpity bmp!!!!

Current Setup:

Sony CDX-7401UI

Custom ported box

KnuKonceptz RCA's

1-Stinger SPV44 Battery

Coming soon:

250 Amp Alt

Custom Door Panels

Just buy an rca splitter...1 set becomes two...or buy an equalizer i thing thAt would work too

So from the output side of amp1, use two splitters from there to the 4 inputs of amp2 is what youre saying? But i lose control over the balancing aspect wouldnt I?

Current Setup:

Sony CDX-7401UI

Custom ported box

KnuKonceptz RCA's

1-Stinger SPV44 Battery

Coming soon:

250 Amp Alt

Custom Door Panels

are you planning on having front and rear speakers, or is it all just front stage?

Edit: I guess it doesn't really matter.

If you plan on running front and rear speakers then hook the front RCAs up to the 1&2 inputs on one amp, and hook the rear RCAs up to the 1&2 inputs on the other amp. Put both amps in 2 channel mode. Wire one pair of mids and one pair of tweeters up to each amp. You can then still use the fader and balance functions perfectly, just set the crossovers properly.

If you are just running all speakers up front then hook the front RCAs up to the 1&2 inputs on one amp, and hook the rear RCAs up to the 1&2 inputs on the other amp. Put both amps in 2 channel mode. Wire all 4 of the mids to the amp that got the rear RCAs, and wire all 4 of the tweeters up to the amp that got the front RCAs.

Need Test Tones/Sine Waves? Click Here!

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd
Pioneer - Zapco - Hifonics - Sundown Audio - O2 Audio - RE Audio

Just Say No To Rear Speakers
Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick

Hit me up on Facebook, if you want

are you planning on having front and rear speakers, or is it all just front stage?

Edit: I guess it doesn't really matter.

If you plan on running front and rear speakers then hook the front RCAs up to the 1&2 inputs on one amp, and hook the rear RCAs up to the 1&2 inputs on the other amp. Put both amps in 2 channel mode. Wire one pair of mids and one pair of tweeters up to each amp. You can then still use the fader and balance functions perfectly, just set the crossovers properly.

If you are just running all speakers up front then hook the front RCAs up to the 1&2 inputs on one amp, and hook the rear RCAs up to the 1&2 inputs on the other amp. Put both amps in 2 channel mode. Wire all 4 of the mids to the amp that got the rear RCAs, and wire all 4 of the tweeters up to the amp that got the front RCAs.

Well, I will be having the 4 mids in stock locations.. 1 in each door(4doors) and the same for the tweets! My question for you is, "if i do it this way and run it at 2channels like u describe, will all my speakers get the full wattage or would it be cut in half since im only using 2channels? Not to sound to noobish but im still learning! lol..

Current Setup:

Sony CDX-7401UI

Custom ported box

KnuKonceptz RCA's

1-Stinger SPV44 Battery

Coming soon:

250 Amp Alt

Custom Door Panels

Well, I will be having the 4 mids in stock locations.. 1 in each door(4doors) and the same for the tweets! My question for you is, "if i do it this way and run it at 2channels like u describe, will all my speakers get the full wattage or would it be cut in half since im only using 2channels? Not to sound to noobish but im still learning! lol..

You'd essentially be doing the same thing as you would be if you were using y splitters. You would just be using 2 inputs for the 4 outputs. They would still function the same with all 4 channels working at full output, and you can still use each side's filter adjustments separately.

The mode selection switch just switches the input style. 4 channel mode means each channel uses it's own RCA input. 3 channel mode means that channels 1 gets it's own RCA, channel 2 gets it's own RCA, but channels 3 and 4 get the input of RCA 1 and 2 mixed together (like you'd want if you were to run subs off of channels 3 and 4) and 2 channel mode simply means that channels 1 and 3 share RCA input 1, and channels 2 and 4 share RCA input 2.

Hope that makes sense.

Need Test Tones/Sine Waves? Click Here!

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd
Pioneer - Zapco - Hifonics - Sundown Audio - O2 Audio - RE Audio

Just Say No To Rear Speakers
Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick

Hit me up on Facebook, if you want

Yup! Makes perfect sense!! Thanks alot guys!!

Current Setup:

Sony CDX-7401UI

Custom ported box

KnuKonceptz RCA's

1-Stinger SPV44 Battery

Coming soon:

250 Amp Alt