Discharging Static from a CPU?

I'll be building my first computer some time next week, and I know pretty much everything I need to do. However my friend just told me that unboxing the components (specifically the CPU) creates a static charge on them, and that I should touch a corner pin on the CPU with a screwdriver to get rid of it. He also said to do the same with the memory. I've never heard of this before, and can't find any articles or any information whatsoever that can back this up. Anyone know if there's some truth to this? Should I try it just in case or might that cause more damage anyway? Seems like the processor would mention that in the instructions if that were true.

it shouldn't cause static when you're unboxing them. they should be packaged in anti-static material. just make sure you're not assembling it on carpet and ground yourself out. you can shock the electrical components and damage them and never even notice the shock. if you get up to get something and come back, ground yourself again before you touch any components.

Alright cool. Well the CPU is just in a plastic case inside the box it came in. I don't know if it's anti-static or not. But I will be getting one of those wrist straps just to be sure I'm always grounded.

The only part of the house that is not carpeted is the kitchen and bathroom, and neither is suitable for building a PC. Should I lay something down on the carpet to stand on (plastic tarp, cardboard?)

I've been working on and building computers for over 5 years now, 2 of those years I worked as a tech, never once grounded myself out and never harmed one pc with static. My tech job was on carpet too lol. Static isn't exactly as big of an issue as it was 15 years ago, computer components have come a long way.

1986 C20 Suburban

9 American Bass XFL 15's

B2 M1MKII

14v XS Power Batteries

Maxwell Caps

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not

you havent lived until you've hit a screw with a router.

Alright cool. Well the CPU is just in a plastic case inside the box it came in. I don't know if it's anti-static or not. But I will be getting one of those wrist straps just to be sure I'm always grounded.

The only part of the house that is not carpeted is the kitchen and bathroom, and neither is suitable for building a PC. Should I lay something down on the carpet to stand on (plastic tarp, cardboard?)

Leave your PC plugged into an AC outlet with the power switch turned off. This places ground on the metal case. Any static electrical charge that builds up on your body is then immediately transferred to ground. I have built hundreds of custom built pcs over the last 15 years, and never had one damaged by any ESD. Just a side note.

Edited by xStatezOfMindZx

2 Rockford Fosgate Punch P3 P3D412 in a 4.75 cu. ft sealed box.

Alpine Type-R SPR-17S 2-way component 6.5"

Alpine SPR-57C 5" x 7" 2-Way Coaxial Speaker (Pair)

RF T1000-1bdCP

Alpine MRP-F300

62.5 SQ Ft. Audio Wrap

Stinger SPC122 Capacitor 1 Farad Chrome w/Blue Neon

Limo Tint All Back 5 Windows

2mgqurs.png

358c1w1.gif

computergeek.jpg