DC Sound Lab

I was thinking about getting a 12" Level 3 subwoofer and had a question about its power handling. Would running this sub @ 2 ohms on an AQ1200D amp be too much (the amp is rated for 870 @ 2 ohms)? Or should I get the AQ750 and run the sub at 1 ohm? Which way would you guys go?

I was thinking about getting a 12" Level 3 subwoofer and had a question about its power handling. Would running this sub @ 2 ohms on an AQ1200D amp be too much (the amp is rated for 870 @ 2 ohms)? Or should I get the AQ750 and run the sub at 1 ohm? Which way would you guys go?

get the aq1200 and wire it to 2ohm and set gain correctly and bass boost on 0 to keep it clean.. your sub will love it.. keep in mind this sub shines on 900-1000rms.. iv given a lvl 3 w/ lvl 4 coils 1500 and only one song worried me cause it was excurting well over 2 inches.. i personally would wire it too 1ohm

You would consider wiring it down to 1 ohm with 1200 rms or a little more going to the sub?

Wire it down to 1 ohm, youll have extra power if you want and its always nice to hsve "head room)

my lv3s with extra spider and lv4 coil were ran daily on 1500rms never had problems

1998 gmc extd cab

12 crossfire C710s

4 SAZ-4500s

3 Singer 400A alts
buncha mids/highs

Team Asshole

I have to put this in the category of "if you have to ask dont do it!"

If you dont have the experience and knowledge and have to ask this question then please stick with the recommended RMS power for the sub. You will be perfectly happy running a Level 3 on an AQ1200 at 2 ohms. If we are having to tell you exactly what to to and how to do it to put more than RMS power to a sub then you are going to be taking the risk of blowing the sub. Will the Level 3 handle 1200w, yes probably in the right hands, but in the wrong hands it can easily be blown on 500w of clipped dirty power. If you want to run the AQ1200 at 1 ohm then I would recommend 2 level 2s or a second level 3.

I have to put this in the category of "if you have to ask dont do it!"

I find this remark insulting because I just wanted dc=realbass to elaborate why he would do that.

I asked that question because I was surprised that dc=realbass would wire it down to 1 ohm. That's all. So that's why I had to ask.

Edited by mraz