Second Skin Audio

Finding Box/enclosure Tuning

dmz2711

I have always wondered if there was a way to find what a box/enclosure is exactly tuned to without using an equation or calculation.

For example, I design my box using winisd and it says that my box should be 5cuft with a tuning of 32hz with lets say 60sqin of port area and 25 inches of port length. I build the enclosure to the correct dimensions, and with the correct port length, etc. Now once i have it built, is there a way to test that enclosure to see what the exact tuning frequency of that enlcosure is??? I know some people use resistors, while others have used a clamp meter, but i am unsure. Does anyone know, or have a conclusive way on how to do this??? :blink:

thanks....

Nobody makes me bleed my own blood, NOBODY!!!

find a term-lab and do a sweep and see what u peak at...although most people peak a bit higher than their tuning...i do anyways...

ok thanks, but that would be my peak frequency, not the frequency of my box. I am looking for a way to test the enclsoure to see what it is exactly tuned to...

it should be tuned to whatever u design it to be tuned at. but just because its tuned at 32hz doesnt mean its gonna peak at 32hz. the exact tuning is what u build it for, but the peak is probably completely different and should be found with a meter of some sort (term-lab).

kinda a confusing question, b/c in order to find the exact tuning u must design in perfectly and the exact tuning will be whatever u build it for. i think maybe ur kinda confused on what u tune it for and what it peaks at.

i likes me some audio stuff...

it should be tuned to whatever u design it to be tuned at. but just because its tuned at 32hz doesnt mean its gonna peak at 32hz. the exact tuning is what u build it for, but the peak is probably completely different and should be found with a meter of some sort (term-lab).

kinda a confusing question, b/c in order to find the exact tuning u must design in perfectly and the exact tuning will be whatever u build it for. i think maybe ur kinda confused on what u tune it for and what it peaks at.

i understand what you are saying that my box should be tuned to whatever i design it to be tuned at. I also understand that the peak frequency is different from box frequency in most cases. Usually peak frequency is 8~12 give or take a few above your box tuning frequency. I am just askin a basic question, how to determine the correct or exact frequency of a built box, or even a prefabed box, without using equations or computer programing. I have seen people do it, i just don't understand how... :blink:

Archived