Sundown Audio

Q for an installation tech

ChampN252

When I first got a radio installed (6-7 years ago), they told me that disconnecting the factory amp and using the one on the radio is a better route (cleaner and stronger signal). I've had that done and maybe 10 or so years ago my bro had that done to his truck. I not debating that issue (you can if you please, something I can learn from), but what do they mean by that? That is one of the few thing I've never seen done or asked about. We are using the older truck again and I want to throw a radio in it. It is a 1996 XLT Ford Explorer. I want to re-hook it back up so I don't have to use an amp.

2012 Honda Accord

Radio: Pioneer AVH-4200NEX

When I first got a radio installed (6-7 years ago), they told me that disconnecting the factory amp and using the one on the radio is a better route (cleaner and stronger signal). I've had that done and maybe 10 or so years ago my bro had that done to his truck. I not debating that issue (you can if you please, something I can learn from), but what do they mean by that? That is one of the few thing I've never seen done or asked about. We are using the older truck again and I want to throw a radio in it. It is a 1996 XLT Ford Explorer. I want to re-hook it back up so I don't have to use an amp.

in my opinion, it depends on the vehicle. Some vehicles have strong factory amps, some dont, some have no factory amp at all. I never thought the radio amps are better, just not a good idea to run speaker outputs from an aftermarket cd player into a factory amp. The factory amp can fail eventually. Seems like some of the XLT explorers have them, some dont. You can tell when you pull the radio.

God damn its hot today. My balls are stuck to my leg.

Archived