Sonic Electronix

Hey everybody, I recently got a Sundown Audio Dual 4 ohm SA-8 from A21Bravo on youtube. This sub was an upgrade from my JBL GTO804. My old sub would run on 4 ohms on 200 watts. I wanted this sub because I could run my amp down at 2 ohms on 350 watts. I hooked up the sub at 2 ohms and the sub got HOT in the center after only 5 minutes. I'm only running it at 350 watts! Here's my setup: I have my 8 guage power wire going from my car battery to my amp. I have my amp grounded to a solid ground on metal. I have a signal going from my amp to the signal spot on my headunit. I have the left/right cord(forgot name?) going from amp to headunit. I also have my bass knob connected. The amplifier is a Sound Ordnance monoblock amp, 350 watts at 2 ohms, 210 watts at 4 ohms. I have 16 guage wire(rated at 400 watts). I have the positive on my amp going to a positive on one voice coil. I have the negative on my amp going to the negative on the OTHER voice coil. Then I have a wire going from the open positive on one voice coil going to the positive connecting to my amp, and a wire going from the open negative on one voice coil going to the negative connecting to my amp. With this 2 ohm setup, the sub gets hot in less than 5 minutes. I've heard this sub doesn't have a thermal problem, doesn't get hot. I also tried going from my amp, both positives and negatives to one voice coil, then having separate wires connecting to the other voice coil. Still gets hot quickly. My old sub, JBL GTO804, stayed decently cool, only got hot after 20-30 minutes of continuous power. Any help would be appreciated, thank you so much for all your help!

Edited by donovanl12

if its getting hot that quick you may be clipping it really bad. There is no way it should get hot on that little bit of power. I had a hard time following how you did your wiring so Im not sure if something is wired wrong

VbjgkeI.jpg

F6CNB9e.jpg
Team Sundown Audio / Team XS Power / Team SHOK

SMD Super Buyer/Seller

www.sundownaudio.com

www.shokindustries.com

www.4xspower.com

www.excessiveamperage.com

it sounds like you wired your coils in series not paralell

take ur sub and wire the coils together + to+ and - to - on ur sub then wire from that to the amp putting everthing where it should be then uall be at a 2 ohm load.

thats what it sounds like u did wrong but ik if u wire coils up in oposite though ie one coil wired up right and another wired oposite then you can mess shit up pretty quick

I picked up an MTX Sw1212 powered subwoofer today. This thing sounds amazing. 130 watts, 12" woofer with a passive 12" woofer tuned to 27 hz. Moving the pictures on the walls and my girl got wet from the bass when i showed her haha. Tonight should be good haha.

how did you set the gain? Where is bassboost set? Is loudness on on HU?

^^^^ this to becouse now that i read it again it seems you did series then paralel. so the only other thing i could think of is your clipping it

I picked up an MTX Sw1212 powered subwoofer today. This thing sounds amazing. 130 watts, 12" woofer with a passive 12" woofer tuned to 27 hz. Moving the pictures on the walls and my girl got wet from the bass when i showed her haha. Tonight should be good haha.

Ok thanks so much for the replies! Sorry for the huge paragraph explaining my wiring, just wanted to be thorough lol. But I did wire it how you said, Hifonics10. I will mess around with the amp settings, try not to clip it. I had the same settings from my old sub, i guess i thought they didn't have to be any different? I'll do some research, thanks so much again!

check out the sticky on how to set your gains when setting your gains i wouldnt use bass boost if ur only setting them with a dmm