JohnyDee21 Posted May 28, 2011 Report Posted May 28, 2011 Hello, first time posting in these forums but long time watcher of SMD videos, love the Tahoe!!!! So right now I have an old ass Kenwood amp, the real cheaps one, I have it connected to a JL 10 W0 and it works perfect, sealed box and perfect for all types of music, but I want more bass. So I bought a JL 500/1 and a JL 10 W7. My question is: Can I remove the cheap old kenwood amp and just connect the JL 500/1 with the same cables? can I use the same cables or do I need to buy another set of amp cables? Quote
blownengine Posted May 28, 2011 Report Posted May 28, 2011 What gauge are the old power cables? Quote 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT (Yea its got a Hemi)Alpine CDA-105KnuKonceptz 0ga CCA Big 3 with Yellow Top 15" SoundQubed HDC3DC Audio 1.2K (Bass)Pioneer 6x9's (Front)Pioneer 6.5's (Rear)Kicker 3.5's (Dash)Sony amp on the highs. (Hey it was free)
JohnyDee21 Posted May 28, 2011 Author Report Posted May 28, 2011 What gauge are the old power cables? It is a 8 gauge cable. Quote
blownengine Posted May 28, 2011 Report Posted May 28, 2011 Your gonna want 4 gauge to run 500 watts. Upgrade time. Quote 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT (Yea its got a Hemi)Alpine CDA-105KnuKonceptz 0ga CCA Big 3 with Yellow Top 15" SoundQubed HDC3DC Audio 1.2K (Bass)Pioneer 6x9's (Front)Pioneer 6.5's (Rear)Kicker 3.5's (Dash)Sony amp on the highs. (Hey it was free)
JohnyDee21 Posted May 28, 2011 Author Report Posted May 28, 2011 Your gonna want 4 gauge to run 500 watts. Upgrade time. Awww damn =(. Ive been looking at cables and I have NO idea what to buy, maybe ill just tell the install guy to do it and pay for it. Do you have a good link or a good set I could buy for a JL 500/1 amp kit? Thanks alot for the quick response by the way. Quote
blownengine Posted May 28, 2011 Report Posted May 28, 2011 You can find some pretty cheap 4 gauge kits online. Like in the $40 dollar range. It isnt going to be the best or thickest wire ever, but it will still carry more than 8 gauge. Quote 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT (Yea its got a Hemi)Alpine CDA-105KnuKonceptz 0ga CCA Big 3 with Yellow Top 15" SoundQubed HDC3DC Audio 1.2K (Bass)Pioneer 6x9's (Front)Pioneer 6.5's (Rear)Kicker 3.5's (Dash)Sony amp on the highs. (Hey it was free)
JohnyDee21 Posted May 28, 2011 Author Report Posted May 28, 2011 You can find some pretty cheap 4 gauge kits online. Like in the $40 dollar range. It isnt going to be the best or thickest wire ever, but it will still carry more than 8 gauge. Ok I think I have it now. I don't care about the speaker cable (I shouldn't right?). And my RCA cables are actually pretty good (Monster) so all I really need are the red and black wires (voltage and ground) that run to my battery. Will this work for me?: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_24546_StreetWires-ZN1K-04.html Quote
08tahoe Posted May 28, 2011 Report Posted May 28, 2011 You can find some pretty cheap 4 gauge kits online. Like in the $40 dollar range. It isnt going to be the best or thickest wire ever, but it will still carry more than 8 gauge. Ok I think I have it now. I don't care about the speaker cable (I shouldn't right?). And my RCA cables are actually pretty good (Monster) so all I really need are the red and black wires (voltage and ground) that run to my battery. Will this work for me?: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_24546_StreetWires-ZN1K-04.html those look good and they are ofc so thats even better. i like streetwires Quote
Winn Posted May 28, 2011 Report Posted May 28, 2011 You can find some pretty cheap 4 gauge kits online. Like in the $40 dollar range. It isnt going to be the best or thickest wire ever, but it will still carry more than 8 gauge. Ok I think I have it now. I don't care about the speaker cable (I shouldn't right?). And my RCA cables are actually pretty good (Monster) so all I really need are the red and black wires (voltage and ground) that run to my battery. Will this work for me?: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_24546_StreetWires-ZN1K-04.html That amp kit sounds fine. BTW if you dont mine me asking how much did all this cost ya? I was just wondering But will be a excellent setup and sound really nice. DONT GET A PREFABRICATED BOX Quote You know how you avoid that? Man the fuck up and bang her best friend sister mom cousin worst enemy and never look back. JUST SAY ANTI-AUDIOPIPE
JohnyDee21 Posted May 29, 2011 Author Report Posted May 29, 2011 (edited) That amp kit sounds fine. BTW if you dont mine me asking how much did all this cost ya? I was just wondering But will be a excellent setup and sound really nice. DONT GET A PREFABRICATED BOX Thanks for the responses guys, will definitely get that kit then!! The JL 500/1 bought it from ebay, excellent condition no scratches for $165 including shipping. The JL 10 W7 bought it from ebay, like new condition, original box, got it for $290 including shipping. And you are gonna hate me (i think) because i actually did buy a prefabricated box >.<, this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/10-PORTED-JL-AUDIO-10-W7-MDF-SUB-ENCLOSURE-10W7-BOX-/360367591177?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e7950f09#ht_1750wt_1139 Is that bad? should I try to sell it and get a custom fit box? Edited May 29, 2011 by JohnyDee21 Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.