Second Skin Audio

Noob box build

Just started getting into the car audio thing. Trying to learn as much as possible on the internet, but it's a whole lotta math/formulas (not my best subject). I think I've got it down. Below is a link to a pic of a box I designed in Sketchup. I think it'll work for a 15" Fi BL, but like I said I'm new to this.

http://tinypic.com/r/19tfn6/7

Also, when they refer to port LENGTH, what exactly does that mean? Thanks in advance.

it will be helpful if you can post the height, width and depth of that box and what thickness of wood you plan to use

also you see in that design where the L port is made (you have 2 pieces of wood parallel to the back and the side of the box, well the port length i believe goes form the beginning of the port, left edge of the wood parallel to back wall, and then to the end of the port, which should be the edge of box, where the air would exit the enclosure

now i am a super noob, however, regardless of it im right, it is still helpful to post dimensions of your box, as well as what tuning you are hoping to achieve

ive only designed 1 box thats actually been built and although it seems he was happy, i dont have enough experience too give too much advice

hence the disclaimer in my sig, lol

what is the length of the two port walls?

also what is the width of the port, looks to be 2-3 inches?

and i believe you measure down the center for accurate port length when it bends

Edited by kynto

youre starting with 3.5 cubes. You need to end with 3.5 cubes after port, bracing, sub displacement etc. Start out with ag gross voulme of maybe 5-6 cubes and aim for a net volume of 3.5-4.

2006 Nissan Z Track.

My Feedback Thread

2nqd37b.png

DCSig.jpg

i used to think a band pass was something you were around your neck or something.

yea, by guesstimating the port dimensions, i got a tuning of 31 but net volume of 2.36, waiting for his reply to see actual port dimensions though, but it doesnt seem large enough after displacement of everything either needs to be wider or deeper or bit of both i think

could be wrong though, lol

youre starting with 3.5 cubes. You need to end with 3.5 cubes after port, bracing, sub displacement etc. Start out with ag gross voulme of maybe 5-6 cubes and aim for a net volume of 3.5-4.

Aha, that's what I was hung up on. Kynto, the port is 3" x 15" deep and 7 across the back.

im assuming 16.5 tall for the port since its 18 tall with .75 mdf

if the port is 22 inch long or even close to that and 3 inch wide that gives a tuning of 43.45 and a net volume of 2.54

if you were restricted on spaced and had to have the box like that, you would have to cut the port width in half to 1.5 to get a tuning of ~30Hz and net volume of 2.88

i suggest trying to get the proper volume for the sub over tuning, because the sub will have a range it can play, though its restricted based on type of box

it be best if you could add either some width, depth, or both

is there room for a larger box?

just a thought: someone would have to chime in that knows more, but should the port opening (where the air first enters port) be a specific distance from the wall based on the width of the port, or does that matter?

Edited by kynto