Battery ground same place as amp ground?

Its never a good idea to ground an amplifier to the battery. Look at it this way... what if the ground from your battery to chassis gets corroded or comes loose? when you go to try and start the vehicle, the starter is going to look for a ground path. since the chassis is no longer connected the battery it will look for other options, such as RCAs that are grounded from the radio, then it goes to your amp, then from amp to battery. basically.... shits gonna catch on fire.

Hence the fuse was invented?

Check out my build log!

You fuse your grounds too?

I dont think you understand what i meant. if the ground cable from your battery to your chassis is disconnected, then it will choose the next path of least resistance. The ONLY other wire that is connected to the battery is your amplifier. the RCAs are grounded and connected to such amplifier, which is connected to your radio, which is grounded at the chassis.

MECP MASTER CEA208509

Proud employee of Alarms, ETC in lakeland, FL

ASE certified

2002 Tacoma:

4 RF P3 15s @ 28hz

2 RF T1500-1bdcps

2 pair Kicker QS

4 Pair RF Power 6s

3 RF p400-4

1 RF p200-2

ALP CDA-9887

The RCAs and radio ground which are very small would toast immediately. anything touching them could catch on fire :(

MECP MASTER CEA208509

ASE certified

2002 Tacoma:

4 RF P3 15s @ 28hz

2 RF T1500-1bdcps

2 pair Kicker QS

4 Pair RF Power 6s

3 RF p400-4

1 RF p200-2

ALP CDA-9887

Its never a good idea to ground an amplifier to the battery. Look at it this way... what if the ground from your battery to chassis gets corroded or comes loose? when you go to try and start the vehicle, the starter is going to look for a ground path. since the chassis is no longer connected the battery it will look for other options, such as RCAs that are grounded from the radio, then it goes to your amp, then from amp to battery. basically.... shits gonna catch on fire.

Just find a nice spot. not a spot welded panel. Scrape paint, drill a hole, and bolt that bitch down

Exactally. See the way electricity flows is from negitive-positive. The "extra" electons move from the "ground" to the positivly charged atoms on the positive charge. This process, which you can call a current flow, with the amount of voltage being the potential movement for the electons to "jump" from on atom to the next. (neg-pos).

So with all this in mind, YES connect all of your negative connections to the frame, chassis, body, ect... with the best and strongest connections you can. I know I got a little bit technical with explaining how it all works, but I am just trying to pass the knowledge on. Hopefully this info will help you in further builds by making them more efficient and cleaner.

Best of luck and Cheers :drinks:

Best of Luck and Cheers!

There is a point of diminishing returns on the amount of equipment installed, kinda like throwing money out a window.

Ground the amps to your batteries. They will be fine. Run a negative lead and a positive lead to insure that the ground is the BEST it can possibly be.

Every boat system that I know of has their amps connected straight to the batteries. I don't see boats catching on fire and having problems. There are so many competitors in the stereo world running isolated grounds that this concept you guys are coming up with is ridiculous. The engine is grounded separately for both the ALT and the starter. Focus on perfect connections, soldered, tightened with the right tools for the job, and you won't ever have a problem.

As for corrosion, it happens on non soldered terminals. A little di-electric grease should always be used on EVERY connection that isn't soldered that is exposed to the elements.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?rlz=1C1TSND_enUS411US411&q=electric+grease&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=9990077239921222863&sa=X&ei=niMaTqbGJPTYiAKZkdHRBQ&ved=0CDIQ8wIwAQ

Well i would imagine the reason for not grounding an amplifier to the chassis in a boat would be the lack of said chassis. Ridiculous? With the average car stereo people do not have upgraded connections under the hood which would make a connection the chassis a safe bet. Corrosion of connections under the hood is common, and if the connection was to go bad and you had your amplifier grounded to your battery, you WILL have issues. I dont understand why a Bolt through the vehicle is not sufficient. obviously if you are competing and looking to gain .5db with a terminal ground, then sure. If your that deep in it you would be aware with your connections anyway. To call this idea ridiculous is nonsense.

MECP MASTER CEA208509

ASE certified

2002 Tacoma:

4 RF P3 15s @ 28hz

2 RF T1500-1bdcps

2 pair Kicker QS

4 Pair RF Power 6s

3 RF p400-4

1 RF p200-2

ALP CDA-9887

Well i would imagine the reason for not grounding an amplifier to the chassis in a boat would be the lack of said chassis. Ridiculous? With the average car stereo people do not have upgraded connections under the hood which would make a connection the chassis a safe bet. Corrosion of connections under the hood is common, and if the connection was to go bad and you had your amplifier grounded to your battery, you WILL have issues. I dont understand why a Bolt through the vehicle is not sufficient. obviously if you are competing and looking to gain .5db with a terminal ground, then sure. If your that deep in it you would be aware with your connections anyway. To call this idea ridiculous is nonsense.

This is something that has been gone over many, many times. It is completely vehicle dependent on how much an isolated ground makes a difference, but generally speaking isolated grounds are normally better than grounding to the chassis. To say that it's impossible to burn up grounds due to loose grounds somewhere else isn't impossible, but to say that it's never a good idea to ground amps to the battery... yeah, that's pretty ridiculous. More often than not, it's beneficial to ground directly to the battery. Think of the panel of the average car as a piece of 4 gauge wire. Anything beyond 1000 watts, I'd recommend a more sufficient ground. Again, it's vehicle dependent on how resistant the body of the car actually is, but isolated grounds are the way to go for anyone looking to get the maximum potential out of their system.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diyma-sq-forum-technical-advanced/13675-grounding-amps-chassis-not-ideal.html

Why on Earth would you run a negative all the way up to your front battery when you can ground directly to the frame next to or very near the location of 2nd battery?. Not only is it a waste of wire, but it will be a better ground by going to your chassis. Go pop your hood and look at your factory ground wire and how big it is ( unless you've done big 3), not the best idea anymore is it? Make yourself a seperate ground for battery, it's not hard. As EVAlonso said, locate good ground location from inside, look underneath car and make sure you aren't shooting into your gas tank or some shit, grind down surface with wire wheel, flathead, etc to get bare metal contact, shoot ground, make sure it's tight,test it for continuity with DMM if you REALLY want to be thorough, call it a day.

2010 Altima Coupe

Kenwood DNX9990HD

JL C5 components

Rockford T1692's

JL HD600/4

JL HD 750/1

JL 12W7AE 2.5 cubes @ 33hz

This isnt an issue about performance, its about safety. I have seen this happen numerous amounts of times. I personally have my amplifier grounded to my battery, but i know my connections are all absolutely solid and i regularly clean under my hood. Someone with a stock electrical connecting their amplifier ground directly to the battery only knows that his online forum said thats how they can get the best connection. They wouldnt even notice the gain they might get from grounding to the battery.

If you have to ask....

bolt to the frame.

MECP MASTER CEA208509

ASE certified

2002 Tacoma:

4 RF P3 15s @ 28hz

2 RF T1500-1bdcps

2 pair Kicker QS

4 Pair RF Power 6s

3 RF p400-4

1 RF p200-2