Sonic Electronix

Amp Noise Issue front Left Input

I figured this out already, but just in case anyone else out there has to search for this, this is how I fixed my problem.

Sorry for the multiple threads, but this is what caused me to mess with my HU to begin with.

Amp - Hifonics 6006

Problem - Yesterday while driving, the amp suddenly, cut off. I figured it overheated. Once I looked in the back, the amp was off, so I cut the car off, cut it back on, and saw it was getting power, but no sound. Once I turned the HU back on, an unbearable noise started coming through the front speakers.

1. I disconnected the RCA's from the inputs on the amp...no noise.

2. I put the FR input in...everything worked fine.

3. I put the FL input in...noise came back. At this point, I thought my LF input was bad, but I figured I better keep searching.

4. I changed the RCA's...repeated 2-3...same results.

5. Disconnected the front speaker connections at the amp...no noise. Obviously.

6. Connected the right speaker...no noise. Connected the left speaker...noise came back

7. Connected the right speaker wire to the left terminal and there was no noise. Leaving me to figure out there was a problem with the left speaker or wiring in that direction.

8. I removed the LF speaker, took it to the back with a short piece of wire, connected it to the amp. No noise, meaning the problem was in the wiring, somewhere between the back of the HU and the door.

9. I cut, re-stripped, and taped the connection between the wires coming out of the door and the speaker again, turned it on, no noise.

A whole bunch of crap, google searches, 2 hours...just to figure out the speaker wire was F'd up.

Lesson learned, do the crap the first time, as far as connections go. The tape is temporary, as I'm on my way to get some connections that I can crimp. While everything was out, I re-stripped and soldered most of the connections, then taped them. This stuff won't happy if you take the time to make the connections solid to begin with, but just in case they do, this was how I troubleshooted the issue.

Learning Everyday.

Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD

Alpine SPS-610C

BXI-2008D

(2) SWR-1242D / Ported

Archived