i wonder if this thread gets more interested in if i pop 150+ on windshield with that 1500D amp...

it has been morelike a monolog sofar.

stock alt, 60A.

because nobody in Finland imports high output alternators, i've been asking for WEEKS for distributer or importer, but no.

would cost roughly 1000€ to get one highoutput alternator from US.

other change is to get alot of stock alts, but i'd rather update my old to a 100-150A minimum.

The easiest way to run two alternators is to have one in the stock location on the exhaust side of the block.

Get the alternator bracket from a turbo 740 or 940 (really easy to get hold of in any junkyard in scandinavia...)

This alternator bracket lets you have one up close to the battery on the intake side of the engine....

I do believe i have a couple laying around here but you should be able to get one cheaper than the cost of shipping it to you....

If you google for photos of "940 turbo engine" you'll see it...

Even running just one alt, it would probably be better to use this bracket.

Then consider using the + connection point on the alterator as the "HUB" for battery, starter and stereo cable.

If your running dual alt, and your handy with metal working tools (or know someone that is) you could have one battery on the other side in the engine bay too....

On the stock type alt, a 15V regulator is a quick and cheap way of raising your voltage just a little bit...

I have this 250A alt and VCM laying around in Norway..... for a reasonable price it could make its way to Finland....

This is a GM type alt with casing modified to fit the Volvo 240,740 and 940, and ofcourse with the appropriate pulley...

alt1.jpg

alt2.jpg

alt3.jpg

thanks for the info, however i really cant afford that much.

now it is pretty sealed up, i found out that volvo has atleast 2 tunnels near the roof that go straight to back, so i had to seal em up with urethane.

also found out that my upper box is not working propely.

if i remove the upper port it gives atlease .5dB on higher notes (56Hz)

so i need to consider removing the whole upper wall to get higher notes louder.

sofar best has been 144,9dB @35Hz. with 1500D monoblock and 18".

i'm not happy at all, last time i had 147.98dB with same system but diffirent enclosure.

on saturday i go to competete with this so wish me luck.. pictures from there and videos me playing MB will be posted.

I'll hook you up at significantly less than your estimated 1000euro. And ill ship it to you as "worthless hunk of metal/Gift" so customs wont sodomize your wallet.

Anyway if you change your mind, shot me a PM and if i still have it laying around.... we'll take it from there.

Something i'm sure you can afford is a 15v regulator from "http://www.biltema.fi/fi/" (somewhere around 20-30USD).

I've gotten the "turbo" alternator bracket for about 10-30USD from scrap yards.... its ridiculously easy to come by in Scandinavia....

It does help a bit on the voltage to get it closer to the battery, and run the cable thats going to the front fuse-block straight from the alternator terminal.

I think you would have had more luck with a "traditional" ported wall.

Problem with "unconventional" means is they tend to be very efficient and provide tremendous gain vs applied power at lower pressure levels.

But they tend hit a efficiency "roof" fairly early (at least what we would consider early...).

These methods are however quite excellent for the listening levels of "normal" and "sane" individuals....

However I'd expect a proper folded horn solution to work wonders.... But you'd have to fold up maybe 3-4 meters of horn in a big box.

A few years ago I built a horn out of old kitchen cabinets for a 10" driver... just for shits and giggles.... but it ended up outplaying quite a bit louder than several dual ported 12" setups running on over twice the power.

I have some PA sub horn designs somewhere on an old backup disk somewhere....... They are about 3-4meter horns folded up to something the size of a medium fridge.

I've usually used 12" drivers in these and one of them outplays the average dual 18" PA box.

We just happen to have a bare 245 shell sitting out back... so if you like to give it a shot, i'll be more than happy to go take some measurements, adapt the horn design into a 245 wall and send you the drawings.

Archived