Sundown Audio

Clipping @ idle

PUNKYOU007

I am having a little problem. First off my truck has a 14v electrical setup. I idle in the high 14s and charge around 16.5-.8.

Should I set my gains with the truck at idle or should i have someone rev the truck up and set them at the charging voltage? I figure if i set them at the charging voltage, when the truck is at idle I will get a clipped signal since the amplifier gains are set to a higher output.

At the moment I am only running one HO alt and it doesn't do much at idle.

TeamDeadlyHertz-PUNKYOU007.png

d(-__-)b

beer sucks...but i can bring some jose cuervo. Only problem is that it makes me horny and gives me the rams. So unless yall wanna fight and then have some great make up sex i will leave it home.

Have you clamped the amps? Also, how bad are you clipping? Whats subs do you have?

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

The amps have not been clamped since the electrical switch to 14V. Subs are AQ HDC3 18's

What I did was have my boy hold the RPMs on my truck around 2k where i was getting a full charge and I set the gains accordingly. But with the o-scope hooked up to the amp i noticed when he left off the gas that the signal was clipped...and this makes sense. The thing that sucks is I like to park and just let my shit play.

I just dont know if how i did it is really the appropriate way. I mean I should be fine if i set them at idle, cause then even when the voltage goes up with the RPMs I will still see a clean signal, but will I be getting full potential out of the amp....

Just a little info. When i was running dual alts, i had a stock alt and an HO alt..I got basically the same voltage at idle and at higher RPMs so I didn't need to worry about this. Well my stock alt has been dead since Xmas and all I have is an HO alt that doesn't put out much until you get the engine speed up.

d(-__-)b

beer sucks...but i can bring some jose cuervo. Only problem is that it makes me horny and gives me the rams. So unless yall wanna fight and then have some great make up sex i will leave it home.

Im sorry, but what amps do you have? That'll tell what potential power you could be getting. How many 18s?

You could tune it at idle to be safe, but it may not be necessary- depending on how the subs like the signal and power

LMFAO so true

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Amps are Cadence ZRS C5...they are rated 5100w @ 1ohm @ 18.v....around 3600 @ 14.4 i think.

d(-__-)b

I assume theyre strapped at 1 ohm on 4 18s?

I dont have ANY experience with the AQs, but they are a lot like DC XLs from what Ive read. After rise, im assuming you should be fine on music.

Keep in mind that thats just an assumption. hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in

LMFAO so true

if you are setting gains with a load... aka your subs hooked up then you dont need to worry about what voltage its at... since the voltage will drop when ur burping it that will be about as low as the voltage will go. do this at idle for cleanest signal

if you are setting gains without a load its still a guess... only true way is with a load. most of the time the gain will be set lower when a load is applied

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

Each pair of subs is on its own amp, at 1 ohm. Rise is 3 ohms per amp. When they were strapped at 2 ohms rise was 6 ohms.

I did not set the amps with a load. Just the scope.

d(-__-)b

Archived