Sonic Electronix

Hi everyone, this is my first time on this site/forum. I think I finally found the Car-audio experts ;)

I will get straight to the question. Is it safe to use Bassboost on your mono for your sub/subs?

I read on the net that 80% it says that if you're using Bassboost from you mono/amp to your sub, it will damage your sub, and also make the amp clip... I'm getting very confused about this. I've used the Bassboost knob on my mono since I got it, now I controll it from my car via a bassremote.

WHY I'm using the Bassboost, is cuz when I did set the gain properly on my mono, the sub barerly moved, I had around 70% volyme on my HU at that point. I boosted some bass from HU, and it helped a lot. Then I turned the Bassboost knob a little on my mono, and now the sub is hitting like it's supposed to do. Without turning up the Bassboost knob, I am not getting the real hitting effect.

It has worked out well for me, cant hear any distortion, and the sub is moving and hitting good.

My equipment:

1x Alpine 9880-R

1x SPL.D XTR12D2S 2x2Ohm (bridged to 1 Ohm).

1x SPL.D.ICE 1500D Mono 1500Wrms.

/Thnx in advance!

I'm confused. You say bass boost but mention the bass knob. They are different. Try setting your gains with the knob all the way up and then retune. OR, remove the bass knob and see if your bass hits. As for bass boost on the amp, I don't mess with it.

From my knowledge the bass knob modifies your gain from off to the setting you adjusted to on the amplifier. BAss boost only boosts a specific frequency ( mine boosts 45hz I believe). It will make your system louder for sure since most songs tends to be in that range of spectrum (unless your listening to specific songs that are meant to hit low). If you tune your amp correctly and are supplying the correct power after your box rise you shouldn't need it. I personally use it just a little so it doesnt peak as hard around 45hz but gets louder but thats becasue my system is still in the economy portion of its life.

Again im not an expert in the area, this is just my understanding of how small power amplifiers work

Sigh...

Power output is dependent upon input signal. So no your amp does not purt out a continous wattage. It will put out a constant rail voltage though. The gain is used as means of matching the pre amp voltage with amplifier,it's a vairable resistor that adjust the feed back resistor to determine the gain at the preamp stage. Bassboost is an active bhandpass filter, which allows not only to attenuate but boost as well. Volume controls will limit the amount of power the amp will put out since it will limit the pre amp voltage. However no knob will truly "regulate" the amount of power the amp is putting out since power in dependent upon impedance and impedance is dependent upon frequency, which in the case of music is dynamic. the problem with bass boost is that when you add boost, you lose dynamic headroom...so if you set the gains just right and then add bass boost, you can cause clipping in the boosted areas...so you either let it clip (and blow stuff up easier) or you have to turn the gains down to compensate--making the volume in the boosted region the same volume, but everything else gets quieter. either way, you dont win with bass boost.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

I have the same amp and two 12"s and I use bassboost too. Without it it sounds good overall but the bass doesnt shake the shit out of my car as desired. So if I'm going to show off for some friends I may turn the bass boost as far as half way but for enjoying music without endangering my ears, I have it somewhere between 0 and 15% depending on the music genre.

Check out my build log!

I have the same amp and two 12"s and I use bassboost too. Without it it sounds good overall but the bass doesnt shake the shit out of my car as desired. So if I'm going to show off for some friends I may turn the bass boost as far as half way but for enjoying music without endangering my ears, I have it somewhere between 0 and 15% depending on the music genre.

If you need to clip to get the desired results, I think you should probably look towards your install as a whole. And shaking/flexing isn't a good indication of how loud something is, just saying.

didnt mr.p use a touch of bass boost during comps?

I do not know what you're talking about, but many people will soft/hard clip during a competition. It's a competition, and usually recones are kept in stock.

If you need to clip to get the desired results, I think you should probably look towards your install as a whole. And shaking/flexing isn't a good indication of how loud something is, just saying.

I know this :P

Check out my build log!

That's a start. I like having a well rounded matching system so that I do not have to use things like bass boost...maybe I do not count as my last 3 setups were all 10,000 watts +

Archived