Second Skin Audio

Working out a 6th order tuning. New design Page 2

nCOMP1337

I had a good amount of feedback on the 6th order i designed, for those who dont know, i designed something, didnt know what it was and the majority told me it was a 6th order

However a few things were wrong with the design and tuning and im trying to fix those things, I know that experience and building multiple setups like this are the best way to learn, but it doesnt hurt to try and get the pen and paper portion as close as possible to what would be consider, ready to be built

New design is currently for a single AA Chaos 12, however the given air space would nearly accommodate 2 chaos 10s I would think n(im going off how i was told to base the airpsace for the rear chamber) plus accommodating for woofer displacement of the 10s, tuning only changes 1. 27 Hz or so, basically im planning on a single 12 or 2 10 setup off a DAT 1k at 1ohm if possible, electrical will be able to handle it once i actually install it (big 3, wiring and bats, etc.)

Tuning for rear chamber is 31 Hz even, though some bracing would raise that a bit, and tuning for the front chamber is 61.2 Hz and bracing will raise that a bit as well

Rear chamber has 4.53 sq in of port area per foot and the front chamber has 21.25

Outer Dimensions of box: 38 wide x 19 deep x 16 tall

by widening the box by 2 inches, i actually save about 5 inches in depth, i also adjusted both ports, so that helps as well

1-2.png

2-2.png

torres1-1.png

torres2-1.png

so, any ideas how you would calculate tuning, do you calculate one section as if it was its own ported box, then calculate the other one as its own, or do you calculate them together

Calculating 6th order ports isn't to terribly hard, mike told me a tune of 32 on the rear ports ( the aeros ) is low enough to still dig down low, and to use 4 - 8 square inches per cube of the "rear" chamber, and 18 - 22 square do the front port tuned high.

Hope this helps.

Difference is the placement of the ports iirc

2006 F-150

4 DC XL M2 18's Walled Daily Driver

XS Power

4 DC 3.5kw

Team DC

Team S.P.L.

Lot of Audio Technix and 1/0

DC Audio Dealer

American Bass Dealer

XS Power Dealer

Audio Technix Dealer

DWRIGHT-1-1.jpg

alright, that sounds sort of how it was coming out in torres, when i was trying to figure it out

i got a tuning of 32 for the rear chamber, and it was like 3.82 inch per cuft and when i tried to calculate the 2nd one, it was coming out high like 68Hz but like 18 per cuft

is there a ratio i need to try and get with the size of the rear compared to the front, and any idea what tuning i should go for, for the front to get a good width of frequencies

also unless i just thinkim doing it wrong, things always seem weird when i try to calculate aeros in torres, instead of putting the dimensions dont you type in the diameter, number of ports and the length for aeros

also how does it affect what i put into torres, since the aeros are external, do i keep the port dimensions the same and also put the same length in port dimensions int he external port input also

sorry if thats confusing, im have a lot of fun designing these, and am really trying to learn as much as i can

that does sort of look like what i made, lol had no idea, does it matter if the subs are located in the rear or front chambers, or is it the same, just affects tuning based on sub displacement

It's something you will have to try and test, try, and test and tear some more.

2006 F-150

4 DC XL M2 18's Walled Daily Driver

XS Power

4 DC 3.5kw

Team DC

Team S.P.L.

Lot of Audio Technix and 1/0

DC Audio Dealer

American Bass Dealer

XS Power Dealer

Audio Technix Dealer

DWRIGHT-1-1.jpg