Why Higher Voltage?

Ok well i got my first car in the beging of the year, but didnt put the system in till spring. I installed a stinger voltage gauge about a month ago. For the first three weeks i would start the car and it would read 14- 14.1. After about ten mintues of driving it would read 13.2 -13.8 depending on if i was stoped or bumping. Ok so now in the past week it had been getting colder, espeacialy today. I go start my car and it says 14.3 , its never been that high. After about 30 minutes of driving it sill only dropped to about 13.8-14 votls. Why is this? I know higher voltage ois better buy why is the temperature affecting my voltage. Can my battery be going? Right now i have stock alt and battery. I have a HC800 that im going to but in soon along with a yellow top under the hood.

TEAM SUNDOWN

4 Nightshade 15"s

2 Sundown SAZ-4500

8 Deep Cycle batts

1998 Cadillac Catera

SPLMAX CUP 2008 Fourth Place Overall

logoblack.jpg

Lower temperatures also increase the cranking amps produced by the battery

if thats the case would it be legal to surround your batts with ice when doing comps? it would be interesting if they allowed that.

Need any thing chromed? Hit me up!!!

gamer tag: (360)

mEmEnToMoRi64

My Myspace

refs:

from here: RollinSoLow, Derrick824, Ray

from c.a.c.o. : teamsubgopoof, splvictim20, SundownAudioNY

from C.A.J. : Donpisto, spladdict19, CAJunkyard, JBLCAMRY, DasBot (robot underground)

from ca.com: alxmlr789,photocrazy8

SMDsigbannr9.jpg

2c27c692.jpg

Heat is wasted energy. The cooler you keep your alternator (and amplifiers) the more power they put out.

Lower temperatures also increase the cranking amps produced by the battery

This is incorrect. The colder the battery the lower your cranking amps. Every starting battery will have a CA (cranking Amp) rating and a CCA (Cold Cranking Amp) rating.

if thats the case would it be legal to surround your batts with ice when doing comps? it would be interesting if they allowed that.

There are already competitors that use a/c systems to keep their setup cool.

teamnemesissundown-1.jpg

Thanks for the reply man i never though of it liek that. I always hear of people having dead batterys int he winter so i though maybe cold was bad for them.

TEAM SUNDOWN

4 Nightshade 15"s

2 Sundown SAZ-4500

8 Deep Cycle batts

1998 Cadillac Catera

SPLMAX CUP 2008 Fourth Place Overall

logoblack.jpg

my system knocks in the summer but in the winter it's even crazier cause i see voltages of up to 14.6

2-DC 15XLM2 D.7s

1-DC 5K amp

(1) XS Power D6500(UNDERHOOD) and (1) XS3000(REAR)

3 runs 1/0ga for power and 2 runs of 1/0ga for negative.

(2)-RFT165s components, ...... 4 separate 1 inch tweetersRF T600-2(fronts) Punch 450.4(rear)

Audiocontrol 3.1.

DC power 260amp alternator w/MLA Module

Archived