Second Skin Audio

Opinions on new box for future build

Well I was originaly going with 2 10" DC Lvl 2's. Then though why not get a single 15" lvl 3. Seeing as I will have a T500.1bdCP. the 15" would be a extremely tight fit, so I thought why not 2 12" dc lvl 2's. The recommended net vol for the 12's is 1.25cuft a sub, so this is what I came up with right now. I have a question though on those subs, the Fs is 31Hz, and I will be tuning to 32Hz, would the Fs have any effect on that?

lvl212s.jpg

Edit: Does anyone think I should add some bracing to the inside of the box? if I am to do so I would use about 3/4" to 1" poles, one coing depth wise and one going height wise connecting to the top baffle and port.

Edit2: another concern I have on this box, since it is 30 in wide, and only a legit 28.5" inside the box, so that is 24" total of woofer across the top of the box leaving me with 4.5" left. on the one side will be the poer of 2.5"long with a 3/4" mdf next to it to create the port leaving me with 1.5" in total of space of width on the top board, I should be safe right. As long as I mount everything correctly.

Edited by RooTxBeeR
On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

bump

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

bump

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

bump

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Well I was originaly going with 2 10" DC Lvl 2's. Then though why not get a single 15" lvl 3. Seeing as I will have a T500.1bdCP. the 15" would be a extremely tight fit, so I thought why not 2 12" dc lvl 2's. The recommended net vol for the 12's is 1.25cuft a sub, so this is what I came up with right now. I have a question though on those subs, the Fs is 31Hz, and I will be tuning to 32Hz, would the Fs have any effect on that?

lvl212s.jpg

Edit: Does anyone think I should add some bracing to the inside of the box? if I am to do so I would use about 3/4" to 1" poles, one coing depth wise and one going height wise connecting to the top baffle and port.

Edit2: another concern I have on this box, since it is 30 in wide, and only a legit 28.5" inside the box, so that is 24" total of woofer across the top of the box leaving me with 4.5" left. on the one side will be the poer of 2.5"long with a 3/4" mdf next to it to create the port leaving me with 1.5" in total of space of width on the top board, I should be safe right. As long as I mount everything correctly.

No. dont worry about the fs your tuning is fine. If you want to add bracing just get the 1.2 inch dowel poles at home depot they work great and take up little space.

Fi BTL 15 N2 D2

-4.5 net..30Hz/Birch and Braced

-AQ 2200D running at 4-ohms for meantime...

-Big 3 KNU 1/0

-XS 1200

-Sundown 100.4 SAX

-Front Stage: CDT CL-61

-Rear: Alpine Type-SA

-HeadUnit-Pioneer AVHDVD-3200

-2004 Saturn Ion

Best score to Date is a 143.1 at the kick with 2 RF HX2 10's in a PWK box!

BUILD LOG---15 BTL...Shit is loud Son!!

You TUBE---RIGHT HERE

I think If I am to add bracing I am going to switch my set up to 1 inverted and 1 normal, so that I can get some extra space insade, so that I don't take out that much room and go below the required net vol. I would rather be a little over the net vol than under

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

I think If I am to add bracing I am going to switch my set up to 1 inverted and 1 normal, so that I can get some extra space inside, so that I don't take out that much room and go below the required net vol. I would rather be a little over the net vol than under

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Unless you're going to give them 2x rated power, there's no need to go with a box that small(I wouldn't do it anyways). There are no indications that the subs are optimal in a 1.25ft^3 box. Unless DC subs have found a way to defy the laws of the t/s parameters they post on their site, those subs would much rather be in 2ft^3 each with a low 30's tuning. With a mid level Qts and a Vas over 2.5ft^3, these are not small box subs. Especially since you're using a 500 watt amp, you can't afford to have these in a small box.

Ever notice how DC raised the recommended volumes for nearly all of their models?

Edited by RAM_Designs

Ryan Miskin - owner of RAM Designs

I have my PM's turned off, please email at <script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>

2200+ designs since March 2011...

The DC site says for the lvl 2 12" for 1.25cuft each. I am going off them, I actually have changed to get 2 lvl 3 12"s running on a T500.1, so later on I have room to put them on a T1500 once I have the money. What would be a good Net volume and Port area per foot, for 2 of the Lvl 3 12's?

edit: I was talking to someone who wanted to sell a T500.1bdCP, and on their birthsheet for it it was rated at 790watts at 1 ohms, so when I get mine I am sure it will put out more than just 500 watts.

Edited by RooTxBeeR

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

bump

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm