06 Civic Build - New Build List on page 60

First things first here's a little package I got earlier this week. These are the headphone amplifiers that are going to go in the back seat somewhere. Originally it was in the center console, but I'm rethinking that one at the moment. I'll get back to that. Here they are!

DSC05440.jpg

DSC05441.jpg

Front, volume knob, power button, and 3.5 mm jack.

DSC05442.jpg

Rear, has two sets of outputs for speakers, also a set of RCA jacks for the inputs. I'll have to make a 3.5mm to RCA cable.

DSC05443.jpg

Side by Side

DSC05444.jpg

This is a crappy pic, but it's dark outside and I just took it. This was my original idea, however, counter sunk at an angle in the arm rest. But, looking at it from this point of view, or at least where I was standing, I can see how it could create a problem with reaching them.

DSC05447.jpg

Then I thought about this spot. There, as you can see, is a little outlet in the seat there, and they almost fit perfectly. The problem would be, how to attach them to the seat. Fiberglass pod, with them seated inside it, but how would I attach the pod to the seat.

DSC05446.jpg

Then I got to thinking, even that might become an issue, although not a big one, because they would have to reach kind of far forward to reach the knob on them. I'll have to get the girls in their seats and buckled in to see which one is better.

I also liked the thought of removing the cup holders and putting them in there, standing so the front of them was facing up. However, that poses a problem cause they're about an inch to an inch and a half too tall. So that may not work.

I'll have to do some more researching on it to see what the best fit is. It's not a real important project right now. I have another project going on now. Let me get to that!

So here's where I'm at with the Alpine Face Plate Extension Project.

I got the head unit out of the truck tonight and just started looking at stuff and getting some ideas on how to tackle this project.

My oldest daughter was a little jealous, bless her heart cause her sister got to be on a picture in the build. So she wanted in on one as well!

DSC05405.jpg

So I got everything laid out, all my pieces to this puzzle.

DSC05406.jpg

Put the face plate on the unit and examined the contacts a little bit. Here is the close up on them.

DSC05407.jpg

You can see on this one, that there is a little tab on either side of the contact connector. This is key cause the contacts really only go in one way smoothly. The other way it goes in, but it's kind of forced. So this is a good thing for orientation purposes!

DSC05410.jpg

With this connector, you can see the top connectors extend down, and the bottom connectors aren't so extended. This is another helpful piece of info for orientation!

DSC05411.jpg

This is just a view of back of the female connector and the top of the male connector.

DSC05412.jpg

Showing them connected

DSC05413.jpg

Same basic thing, just roles reversed this time.

DSC05414.jpg

Connected

DSC05415.jpg

This just shows how the connector will go into it's spot

DSC05416.jpg

DSC05417.jpg

Both of the base plates. The top one is the new piece and then you see the connector in front. After looking a bit at it, I may change out the one on the unit cause it's a little worn. The one for the faceplate to be held on, doesn't need to do anything but hold the faceplate. The base unit one, needs to be moved if I need to put in a cd. Anyway, moving on.

DSC05419.jpg

DSC05420.jpg

DSC05421.jpg

Now it's time to get our color chart and wires all situated so I have a guide to go off of. No reason to mess something up by guessing right.

DSC05422.jpg

DSC05423.jpg

DSC05424.jpg

DSC05425.jpg

Now that I have that going on, lets take a look at the wires and colors

DSC05426.jpg

I wrote down colors as I thought they should go. But then I discovered later that they had numbers on the wires. So I changed the color code later.

DSC05427.jpg

DSC05428.jpg

DSC05429.jpg

Here's what's in each cable. Remember there's 8 cables in the main run. So each pair per cable equals 16 little wires. There's 16 contacts on each plug. Make sense now!

DSC05430.jpg

So after looking at the female connector I wondered what it looked like in the unit. So I decided to take the front off and look for myself.

DSC05431.jpg

To my surprise this is what I found. I don't know exactly what I was expecting but I thought I'd have a ribbon cable or something in there. It's a board that has another plug on it, that plugs into a female plug that's soldered on the main board. WOW.

DSC05432.jpg

This is how it's soldered to the board.

DSC05433.jpg

So I started stripping, wire that is!

DSC05434.jpg

One down, one to go

DSC05435.jpg

Two down.

DSC05436.jpg

DSC05437.jpg

Next to strip the ends and get em ready for soldering or tinning whatever you wanna call it.

DSC05438.jpg

Done and ready for solder.

DSC05439.jpg.

That's as far as I got tonight. My eyes hurt, my head hurts, and it's time for bed. So I have to now solder the ends, solder the connectors, and then put them together. The connectors aren't very strong so this is a little intimidating. I wish I had a better solder tip, but I literally have no money in the bank right now, so i can go get one. But I think I have one that will work. I just don't want to ruin anything.

I did find this out however. This is the picture from above, altered. What it's pointing at is a button. That button is pressed by the arm that goes down when the face plate opens up. I'm guessing it has something to do with the eject button. That's just a guess though. But if that button has to be depressed for the eject button to work, then I'm going to have no choice but to do a face plate of some sort on the base. I was planning on it really anyway. I'm probably just going to get the piece that goes on the front, then I'll have an empty face plate. But it'll look good still.

DSC05432-1.jpg

So that's it for tonight. I'll see how much more I can get done this weekend.

Yea i hope it does too. But better to spend that time finding out than not knowing at all. It would drive me nuts ifbi just said eff it and went low when i really wanted it up high. So this way ill know if its possible or not. If not then at least i know im not settleing and its going down low cause thats the only option. Hoping for a result tomorrow. Busy day today with the family!

thats some perty wire! wheredju get that??

Current Builds:
1996 Suburban 1987 Porsche 924S
Owner: Pops Owner: Me
Clarion NZ500 Alpine CDA-9827
3 Sundown SA-12's 2 Kenwood KFC-W3012
1 Sundown SAZ-3500 1 JL Audio 500/1v2
4 Alpine SPS-610C 4 Sony Explod
2 Alpine SPS-170A Custom iPhone/iPod Dock
1 Alpine MPR-F300 Custom upholstered seats
1 DC Power 190 amp OEM Series alt
1 Optima Redtop batt
1 Maxx start batt
0 Gauge KnuKonceptz wiring all around
LOTS OF LEDS!
Custom Chevy Xbox 360
19" LED Vizio tv

COMING SOON!:
custom amp rack custom amp rack
2 Alpine SPS-610C's 4 infinity 6432cpf's
second custom Chevy Xbox 360 2 kenwood KFC-W3012's
Second Skin Damplifier Pro and more to plan!
iPad 2 dash mount
and MUCH MORE TO COME!!

MY OTHER BUDS SUNDOWN 06 PILOT BUILD!

MY BUDS AWESOME 04 TUNDRA BUILD!

KENWOOD INFINITY 87 PORSCHE BUILD!

Sundown Alpine 96 Burban Build!
[/color]
Check me out on Youtube at:
Youtube.com/1987porsche924

Archived