06 Civic Build - New Build List on page 60

Hey guys, I started another FS thread to separate some stuff.

First one: My link

Second one: My link

I need to get the head unit and stuff gone so I can get the tablet to START THIS DAMN PROJECT!! Research is done, plans are finalized, I have the dash kit already (using the old one), now i just need a tablet to start fiber glassing and getting it ready to go.

Thank you for your suggestions. I'll address all that when I get the components in. I'll for sure be bench testing it all to make sure it works as soon as they hit my front door.

Do you have a better suggestion on how to get around the lack of accessories for this particular tablet? I'm actually please I got down from a bunch of different adapters and converters to one. I'm always open to suggestions.

Ok so things are gonna get super custom with this. I couldn't help myself so I made a paper mock up of the size of the tablet, according to the Samsung website. Then I got ahold of MS Paint again! Gotta love it!

Here's what I came up with.

Here's our blank slate. This is the current OEM in dash unit.

IMG00631-20110818-1650.jpg

There's a couple of issues I'll address as we go along but overall it's a pretty good spot. There is quite a bit of slope but I think I can get around it in a flowing manner to get this to work.

So this was the original plan: Wanting to keep the HVAC controls where they were, knowing that I was going to loose the vent in the upper left there, I decided to put it here. The top HVAC controls, if you'll notice in the picture above, has a pretty straight line the defines the slope and almost divides the unit. Here's the picture of the original thought with the paper mock up.

IMG00621-20110818-1635.jpg

So after looking at that I decided I didn't like it. I want this thing to be more upright and not have to look at it at an angle. This is where a lot of vehicles take advantage over mine, like the chevy's, fords, etc which have more vertical dashes. I, as you can see, do not. So I got to thinking, what can I do about this. Started moving the mock up around and seeing what I could do.

Here's what I came up with. I decided I'm gonna have to get seriously custom with it. Meaning, I'm gonna move the HVAC controls, the Hazard Button, and the Air Bag indicator light. I think, at this point I'm still gonna loose the vent, but I'm a bit closer to a good thing. I like the position. Here's the second option picture:

IMG00624-20110818-1637.jpg

As you can see the vent is still impeded quite a bit. I could maybe still save it, but it would take some serious alteration.

So I thought more about it and this is what I finally came up with. Here's the last pic and option three:

Oops apparently I didn't take a straight on of this, and I've already thrown the paper away. Here are the sides.

IMG00625-20110818-1639.jpg

You can see in this pic I could almost save the vent. Again we'll have to wait and see what happens after I play around with it.

IMG00626-20110818-1639.jpg

So with all that, I have committed at this point to move the HVAC controls, and the other items as well. Found this as a good place to put them. I rarely use this thing, and honestly it's removable, out of the way, and probably going to be the easiest place to put it.

IMG00627-20110818-1639.jpg

Here's a little MS Paint alteration to show you how it'll look.

HVACMove.jpg

So that's the idea right now. I may still end up losing the vent, I don't really know yet. I'm gonna have to make the fiberglass pan for it and then see where I can put it. I may be able to go more to the right and fiberglass and mold it in nicely to flow with the dash, but I don't think I could go deep flush mount with it if I did that. We'll have to see what I can come up with.

So here's a couple of mock up pics from paint to give you a general idea of what we're talking about.

Before:

IMG00631-20110818-1650.jpg

After:

InDashMockup.jpg

Before:

IMG00624-20110818-1637.jpg

After:

FaroffIndashMockup.jpg

Thoughts?

Yes, it's gonna be a lot of work. But I'm fine with that. The entire build is gonna be a lot of work. I'll have to extend the wiring for sure. A buddy of mine has done it already. So we've been talking and working together on it. I'm not worried about extending the wiring. As far as the changing possibility, well what can I say other than...........that's the world of car audio and customization! I'm fine with it. It's an after market dash kit I'm gonna be using anyway, so my OEM is still gonna be good and not cut up. I'll either use what I can of the other one or buy a new aftermarket kit and build it over again.

Found a possible snag in my plans. After reading more on the Galaxy 7's docking station everything suggests the audio through the 3.5mm jack on the dock. However the HDMI cables carry an audio signal which can be converted through the converter that I'm going to use. However, my fear is that the port will not support the audio through the HDMI cable. So what I'm going to do is just order the dock. Once I get it, I'll test it out and see if it will work through the converter. If it doesn't then I'll go to the Media Tab like I was going to do previously before I found the dock conversion.

Here's the catch. If I have to go to that adapter instead of the dock, I just found out they're not even shipping them or supposed to be released, until early or mid September. Not the end of the world, however, I'd like to find this out sooner rather than later.

I'm going to go get my tablet today. I'm going to see if they have a docking station as well. That way I can find out as soon as my converter gets here.

More to come soon!

SOMEONE BUY MY HEAD UNIT SO I CAN PAY OFF THE CREDIT CARD I"M ABOUT TO USE!!!!!

Archived