06 Civic Build - New Build List on page 60

Basically here's what you've got. This is the back of my headlight housing. I use a 9006 bulb for my headlight low beams. When the light bulb itself is out of the housing you have this hole.

DSC03198.jpg

That's where the bulb pokes through and when turned on is magnified by the chrome pieces inside the housing. Like these.

DSC03199.jpg

Now that piece in the middle is to deflect the light to the back and the back throws it out basically in front of your car. That's a low beam. A high beam won't have one, like this! This is actually the low beam with the piece removed

DSC03200.jpg

Then you have your projectors. These

IMG00867-20110121-2057.jpg

The back of them have a threaded stud, so to speak, and that is what's going to go through that bulb hole from the front of the housing which is why you have to get that front lens off. It's held on by adhesive which needs to be heated to melt, and that's why you bake em.

DSC03228.jpg

Once that stud is pushed through the back, you attach it with a nut. Like the bottom picture.

DSC03229.jpg

DSC03230.jpg

Now then, these studs on these projectors are specific for the 9006 holes so I don't have a need for any adapters for my set up. They do have, however, adapters for the 9007 which you would have to specify when you buy them. The adapter is going to keep the projector centered in the hole and tight from moving around. The 9007 hole is bigger than the 9006 hole which is why you need the adapter.

After that, it's just a matter of putting on the shroud, trimming if necessary, and lining up the cutoffs. Unless you're crazy like me and decide to make your own shrouds, then it takes quite a bit longer. After that you heat up the lens and housing and clamp them back together until they dry and put the lights back in the car and you're good to go. Well you have to install the HID's but that's pretty simple.

DSC03244.jpg

Does that help?

Actually, that does help, alot. So the shrouds youve been spend so much time on are custom, not standard? Plus, what happened to the reflective backside of the headlight?

1999 GMC Suburban SLT
No system planned just yet.

Look at "hate" spelled backwards. It spells "e-tah." For example, if you hate me you can e-tah dick.

Yes that's correct. I had the regular ones but after I had to cut them to fit, I didn't like the way they looked. So I decided to get the fiberglass out and make my own customs. The chrome behind was painted black because with projectors, you're no longer using the chrome in the housing for a reflective source. The Projector itself, now throws out the light and is magnified by that globe shaped glass piece you see. The HID's are so powerful that combined with the lens (globe piece) it doesn't need a reflective source. Now if you were to just put in HID's and not the projectors, then you'd still need the chrome back for the reflective source to throw the light out.

So anyway, I pained the housing black because I was going to use the original shrouds and I didn't want any chrome in there if I could help it cause of my theme on the car being black. SO I painted them. Now that I'm doing the custom shrouds I didn't need to paint the housings cause the new shrouds cover the whole housing. Sorry that's probably all confusing isn't it. It's all just cosmetic crap.

Hopefully that didn't get too confusing.

I was looking at the projector kits, looks like I need to buy two extra head lights. Do you know on the bixenon projectors if you need the bixenon HID bulbs? It doesn't seem like it since the projector does the beam movement. Didn't know for sure.

my issue is going to be how big my head lights are, and the awkward shape lol. But the last page was very helpful.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/260803412866?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y

keep the work going

I was looking at the projector kits, looks like I need to buy two extra head lights. Do you know on the bixenon projectors if you need the bixenon HID bulbs? It doesn't seem like it since the projector does the beam movement. Didn't know for sure.

my issue is going to be how big my head lights are, and the awkward shape lol. But the last page was very helpful.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/260803412866?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y

keep the work going

First, and not to just duck questions cause I do welcome them, but you seem to be a guy who wants to learn so I'm gonna help you with a great site for this stuff. It's called HID Planetand there's an overwhelming amount of information on there about HID's, projectors, and galleries etc. You could do yourself some good by looking at it and researching a lot on there. Great site!

Now onto your questions.

Why do you say you need two extra headlights? I only bought an extra set, cause I wasn't so sure about the install and if something went wrong, I at least had the originals to fall back on. In this case, I used the new headlights for the project and just kept the originals on. Once the project is done, they'll get swapped out!

Bi Xenon vs Xenon is basically this. There are two different ways to go about it. The Bi Xenon HID's have two bulbs in one basically. From what I've gathered in just a little research myself, and the one inside the other is how you get the "Bi" part of it. One is for the low beam and one for the high beam. Then there is a Xenon Bulb which only has the one beam in it, either high or low depending on which bulb you're replacing.

Next is the Projector which is the best way to go really. The projector is a "Bi" really. There is a mechanism in there that controls a flap. Let me see if I have any pics of it. Hang on. Nope sorry no picture. Anyway, it's a little flap in there that gives you the cutoff (the line on the top of the light beam, you'll see it if you search that site). When you engage your "high beam" it drops that flap allowing the entire HID bulb to be shown instead of part of it.

Not sure I explained that 100% correct, but I think that's what it is. I'll have to do some more looking into it when I get some time.

AS far as how big your headlights are, it's not an issue. Really doesn't even matter. The projectors are now the headlights and do all the work. The projector really only will now use the headlight housings for just somewhere to sit. That's my understanding anyway. The size of your lights don't make any difference. The project is still the same!

Like I said go check out the site, search around and look at some of the projects that have been done in there. You'll be surprised. Good luck!

Well here we go again. Two steps forward and another step back.

After a beautiful morning, I sat on the couch and watched my 4 -1 Niners beat the 5- 0 Lions, I decided to shower up and hit the garage for some work. My goal today was to work on getting the fogs in, get the retros started, the HID's in and then see where I was at after that. Kind of alot to bite off for an afternoon, but I was feeling good about it.

Things were going very well for a bit. Then i hit my first snag. I'll take you through the first part and fill you in when I get there. Here are some pics.

Little before action! New Nokia Yellow DRL's in there, no fogs.

DSC04637.jpg

My baby with her bra off!

DSC04638.jpg

And thrown on the floor! Not really, don't get excited!

DSC04639.jpg

Starting the process! Pretty self explanatory in the pics!

DSC04640.jpg

DSC04641.jpg

Samsung Galaxy Tablet on the DIY for some help if needed!

DSC04642.jpg

Got the drill out with a little drill bit. Now the directions online said, use a push pin to puncture through to the front and then cut it out, basically. These guys must have fingers of steel, cause even though this is pretty soft plastic, really a push pin!?! Not sure who wrote this up, the guy from "Office Space", maybe he did it on his lunch hour! Anyway, I opted for a drill and a bit to drill the holes out instead! Easier! A push pin.....pshhhh!!

DSC04643.jpg

Kind of hard to see the circles but they're there if you look hard, 8 of them.

DSC04644.jpg

Before drilling

DSC04645.jpg

Back after

DSC04646.jpg

Front after

DSC04647.jpg

Then, my trusty dremel made an appearance! He's so loyal! Love that thing!

DSC04648.jpg

Here's my first little issue! Pissed me off more than anything, but whatever I thought I'd share. I was dremeling out the holes, and I hear this thud and the dremel almost slipped out of my hands. What was it you ask? Well it was the camera falling off the table, and the dremel body, falling on top of the camera! Don't know if you recall, a while back i had a broken camera and had to fix it, lcd was broken cause I sat on it at 2am or something like that. Well I semi lucked out on this one. Same issue, but the screen cracked not the LCD! But this happened as well!

DSC04649.jpg

However, it's still working! Whatever!

DSC04650.jpg

DSC04651.jpg

DSC04652.jpg

DSC04653.jpg

So I did have to trim out the holes a little bit, and fiddle with it a little here and there but ultimately I WIN!

DSC04654.jpg

DSC04655.jpg

So my lights are in now, and my next order of business was to get them fired up and lined up correctly. Not sure if I did it correctly but here's what I did. I anchored down the back of the bumper so it was stationary. If you've never taken these off before, they're a little front heavy and tip pretty easily. Didn't want to fight it so I screwed it down. Then I shimmed up the front until I got a good level on it.

Scoot, how did you get a level on it? I didn't. I measured it. I'm not sure now what it was but the table was 29" from the floor to table top, then I think it was 5 or something from there to the fogs or something like that. It was over 5 frustrating hours ago, so I'm not sure. Anyway, I measured the garage door and taped it off as well.

Then I taped off the fogs, to give a sort of cut off. Proved to be a dumb idea cause it just didn't work that way! Oh well! Ya know you don't know these things till you try them!

DSC04657.jpg

Tape representing the table top

DSC04658.jpg

Tape representing the center of the fogs.

DSC04659.jpg

So here's where I started, and before any leveling.

DSC04660.jpg

Here's where I ended up.

DSC04661.jpg

DSC04662.jpg

More adjusting.

DSC04663.jpg

Then it was time for the HID's!

DSC04664.jpg

Much better light in person, not sure if you can tell here!

DSC04665.jpg

Archived