06 Civic Build - New Build List on page 60

Are you suggesting sealing them up?

absolutely!!! you have a great midrange (i'll buy it too)... but if you don't give it at least 2 liters it will be anonimous...

with the liters necessary of air, is an astonishing midrange that can reach quietly 200hertz...

try... trust me... and your mid will change from the day to the night

Ok, I'll go ahead and seal it off. Thanks for the info.

I think someone asked me where I got my orange tape from, but I can't find who or where it was. I got it at Contractors Warehouse, here in Sacramento. It's made by a company called HyStik Inc. They were out of blue, and this was there. I needed some the night I started V1 of the tablet pan. It seems to work well, and I love orange! DOUBLE WINNING!! HA! :drink40:

Good things happened today. I'm feeling pretty good about what little progress was made. Well what little progress you guys can see. What you can't see is the steam coming out of my head from brain storming! Whew! Pics uploading now. I'll get them up sometime tonight!

So I got out today, and spent the better part of the afternoon getting some things done. Per the suggestions from another member, I went ahead and sealed off the a pillars. Let's go there now.

Before I could get to any of that, I had to clean up the back side of the pillars first. I had overhang from the cloth, and I had staples poking through the back side too. I'll need to pick up an air stapler for the rest of the job. I used a hand stapler on this one, but it's a pain to deal with! Doesn't always work either.

DSC05237.jpg

OUCH

DSC05238.jpg

Cleaned up

DSC05239.jpg

Holes cut out.

DSC05240.jpg

New toy. decided I needed one, so I finally just broke down and got one. What a god send!

DSC05241.jpg

Next, in order to seal everything up, I needed to grid down a bunch of the ribs on the back of the pillar. Also the plastic needed to be roughed up a little bit so the resin would stick to it.

DSC05242.jpg

DSC05243.jpg

DSC05244.jpg

DSC05245.jpg

DSC05246.jpg

what did you use to wrap? just some cloth?

Vehicle: 2008 Mustang V6

Exterior: Blacked Out Taillights, Turn Signals, Side Markers-Black 18x8 Enkei ls5-6000k HID's

Interior: Blue LED Strips with Module for Music-Hardwired Beltronics RX65 with Blue LED and remote button

Sub: 2 10 inch custom subs

Amp: Hifonics BRz 2600

Wire: Knu 0 gauge

Headunit: Kenwood kiv-bt901

Damplifier: Fatmat Rattletrap

Electrical: Stock Alt/Stock Battery/Big 3

So the rest of my day was taken up brain storming and trying to figure out this tablet install. I worked at it for a while, and I think I'm finally on the verge of getting it perfectly fit. I had to drop it down more than I wanted to, and widen it out a little more than planned, but I think in the end, it's gonna work out just fine! Let's get onto the pics.

Here's where I started. After looking at it for a while, I decided to move it over about a quarter inch. I was pretty close to the right side and it's pretty thin over there so I decided to give it some room.

DSC05257.jpg

After that I was pretty satisfied, at the moment, with placement. I did not, however, like the waves on the edges.

DSC05258.jpg

DSC05259.jpg

So I got my new tool back out and went to work. This is what I ended up with. Much better I think!

DSC05260.jpg

DSC05261.jpg

Then I started trying to mock up the sides. Used some construction paper I have sitting here, and was going to use that to make templates for cutting out wood. I was going to use ABS or something like that, but I have 1/8" ply already here, so why not just used that!

DSC05262.jpg

DSC05263.jpg

DSC05264.jpg

So after staring at that for another 10 minutes, I decided that the best thing for me to do, since I'm going to have the whole pan and tablet move, was to get that done, then build everything else around it. So, I got to work doing that.

DSC05265.jpg

DSC05266.jpg

DSC05267.jpg

So this is the front cover up on the bezel. This gives me an idea of the overall size of the cover piece. Obviously this will get cut out in the middle and basically only reveal about an 1/8" of the black outer frame. So It will give me a full screen to look at.

DSC05268.jpg

DSC05269.jpg

DSC05270.jpg

Back on. If you look at the upper right corner this was my problem spot. It was just way to high for my liking! From a creative standpoint, it was just going to be way too difficult to mold in and make it look good. And from a visual standpoint, I was just not happy with the way it looked. So back to the drawing board I went.

DSC05271.jpg

DSC05272.jpg

So what I was running into, was how to drop it down, make it look good, and make the tablet and pan itself drop in behind the front of the bezel. The top cover of the tablet could sit on the front, that would be fine, cause I could mold the surroundings in and that would be fine. Then I looked at it again, and decided that little ridge there in the middle needed to go in order to get it lower.

DSC05273.jpg

Gone!

DSC05274.jpg

After that it was a matter of how low do I need to go? So I test fitted a couple hundred more times, adjusting, dropping, raising, sliding, and decided more needed to come out. BUT, before I started cutting more out, I wanted to make sure the level in which I was happy with, holding it there, was going to be good. So the best way I could think of to do that, was to put in a ledge and see where we're at! So I used a piece of the 1/8" ply, a dowel, and some hot glue and built a ledge!

DSC05275.jpg

DSC05276.jpg

DSC05277.jpg

So I set the tablet and pan on that ledge, and then put the face on it. As you can see, in the same right upper corner, it's definitely lower. This would be more manageable for sure!

DSC05278.jpg

DSC05279.jpg

This is where the tablet was sitting currently. Good, but not great! More brain storming! Remember I don't have much more room to the top to go, and while i have room toward the bottom to go, I also don't want to push the DRC right out of the whole bezel. So I had to get creative with this thing. I've only got about an 1/8" over the tablet right now, and I think that's a great length, that way the buttons don't get hit, and when it drops back in, retracts, then it would rest against the cover and not the tablet.

DSC05280.jpg

DSC05281.jpg

So what I did was go an 1/8" up, and an 1/8" down. We're there! Home free! I'm very very happy with this! Check it out! It's sunken in baby!!

DSC05282.jpg

DSC05283.jpg

Even was able to shave a bit more, and get the face cover to sink in as well! FOR THE WIN!!!!

DSC05284.jpg

I know it doesn't look like it right there, but if you look down the line, the back side there is sunken in. This will be able to happen without having to build up anywhere around, for the most part.

DSC05285.jpg

So next on the agenda is going to be doing the sides. What I plan on doing is making the sides a little bit bigger than they need to be, about a 1/4" ish. Then I can get the tablet in place, with the cover, and then I can sand down the sides to meet the cover. That way it all meets up. Then the right side will need filling. Trying to figure out the best way to do that. I think filler is pretty heavy for that, and there's going to be a pretty good amount of filler on this already. Maybe a little touch of spray foam will do the trick. Sand it down, filler over top to smooth it out. Not sure. Already had filler in there, holes are drilled for it, so maybe I'll just use filler and be done.

Obviously I have other holes to fill as well. Going to have some forming and framing to do also. Lots more to do on this, but I'm feeling very on track and like things are going well with it. Not falling into place by any means. This has been mentally tough to figure out. But that's what customizing is all about.

More to come soon! Thanks for checking in!

Archived