06 Civic Build - New Build List on page 60

Ok so a couple of things going on. I've decided to scrap the air idea for now. I don't see me being able to afford it anytime soon so if that day comes where I am able to afford it, then I'll change the design at that time. I'm sure I'l be ready for a "redo" by then anyway.

So now I'm trying to figure out a box configuration. I thought I was trying to build a 4th order, but I'm all confused now. So I've posted up a thread on here asking for some help. Feel free to check it out here: My link

Now moving on. Here's a little project that I did this weekend. I cut out the pass through in my rear seat. Pretty strait forward, so I won't go into much detail. Here's some pics.

DSC03640.jpg

DSC03641.jpg

DSC03642.jpg

DSC03643.jpg

DSC03644.jpg

DSC03645.jpg

DSC03646.jpg

DSC03647.jpg

DSC03648.jpg

DSC03649.jpg

DSC03650.jpg

And my favorite tool makes yet another appearance! Man I love this thing!

DSC03651.jpg

DSC03652.jpg

DSC03653.jpg

DSC03654.jpg

DSC03655.jpg

Looks like 2 pictures ago, but I just cut out the back cloth panel

DSC03656.jpg

And myself! This SH!T is sharp! Careful if you're doing this project.

DSC03657.jpg

Little duct tape to keep the kiddies safe, and myself!

DSC03658.jpg

Actually I forgot about this piece. Now this and the tape will for sure keep the kiddies safe!

DSC03659.jpg

DSC03660.jpg

DSC03662.jpg

DSC03663.jpg

So that's about it. The other project I had going on failed. I think I posted that up. I'll have to redo it, but that's what you guys can't see anyway! Sorry!

That's it for now!

Ok here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to have to build some boxes I think. In order to do that and start testing some stuff, I'm going to have to get some stuff done first. I'm going to move on from this at the moment. I'm going to work on getting my head unit bezel done and put the head unit back in. I'm going to do the two runs of 1/0 ga from front to back and get that powered up and ready to go. Then at that point I'll make the rear wire panel and after that I can start making boxes and see what sounds best.

The problem is I have so many damn ideas in my head and not enough time to test them all.

Sorry guys about the confusion. I'll handle all this. I'll update when I can.

Damn bro you doing a hell of a job with everything. Detail is everything and your doing it. Cant wait for the finale.

2012 GMC SIerra CC

System Build

Headunit--Stock

Sub Amp--DC 2.0k

Subs--2-SA8v2's

Enclosure--Need one made!!

Highs Amp--Sundown SAX-100.4

Front Highs--Rockford Fosgate T2652-S

Rear--Sundown Neo Pro 6.5

XS Power D2400--XS D3400

No Big Three yet!

http://www.youtube.c...ser/raolito1980

Thank you. Sometimes being a perfectionist is not a good thing. Most of the time it is. But being a perfectionist, and hating to do things twice are conflicting personalities! That's me in all my glory!

Ok, UPDATE ALERT!

So for a while I was looking at my head unit in the dash bezel and I just simply didn't like the way it looked with the trim ring and everything. It looked unfinished and I thought, as have some other civic folks I've seen and know, I could customize it and make it look 100x's better than that. Here's what I'm talking about:

The red arrows point to what I'm talking about.

IMG00211-20110425-1439-2.jpg

And here's a picture I took starting out, these actually show what I'm talking about.

DSC03665.jpg

DSC03666.jpg

DSC03668.jpg

This is going to be a problem, not a problem but an issue with finishing. I think it's going to be an issue of blending well. There's a step down from this bottom bar to the frame around the screen itself. It's about a quarter inch, which isn't significant, but it can be in a small space like this.

DSC03669.jpg

Let's get started. I took the head unit out. This is the oem dash kit and all oem brackets. You can get them at majestic Honda, I think that's where I got this from. Better than the Scoche or Metra kits. Although if I had to go with aftermarket I'd prefer the Scoche kit. Looks much better IMHO! Ok enough of that.

DSC03670.jpg

After I removed the unit and the brackets I had to start taping the unit off to protect it. In order to protect the screen and still get a nice sharp edge around the frame of the unit, I decided to cut up an old microfiber cloth I had laying around. Cut it to the size of the screen and just tapped over top of it.

DSC03671.jpg

DSC03672.jpg

DSC03673.jpg

Next I got out my drill and started making swiss cheese out of the bezel.

DSC03674.jpg

DSC03675.jpg

DSC03676.jpg

Then I sanded it down and the rest of the piece as well. I'm not sure how I'm going to finish this but either way it'll need to be sanded to help whatever I'm doing to adhere to it. The oem paint on it is slick for sure.

DSC03677.jpg

DSC03678.jpg

Daddy. WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!!

DSC03679.jpg

So, after all that I had to put the head unit back in. I tried to do a few things with this and see if moving it forward was a good thing or not, and when it came down to it, where it was seemed to be the best place for it. So I just left it there. It's ready for the next step.

DSC03680.jpg

DSC03681.jpg

In these last pics, I had put some epoxy in there, just the loctite 5 minute epoxy. I thought I had a bunch of it, but apparently I didn't. Anyway, I was going to fill the majority of the gaps with that, then finish with body filler. I made it all around the unit but not enough to fill it.

Well, this was my first issue! Not knowing it yet, but having fears of it not coming out. I'll get to that later. It did leak out a little bit and that's where my fears came in.

Next I got out my body filler. Yes it's just bondo filler from home depot or where ever it's sold. Then I got some fiberglass strands and started cutting them up to mix into the filler.

DSC03682.jpg

DSC03683.jpg

This is the first time I've tried this, but it was a pain in the ass. Maybe I put too much strand in, I'm not sure, but it was not very easy to fill in. Anyway, I went and got it all in and first coat applied. Gaps filled, and ready for sanding.

DSC03684.jpg

Just touched it with the sand paper a little on top. I didn't have much time to work on it today. It was Friday night. I had done all this while watching my kids and sitting on the patio with my wife while the kids swam. So that was it on Friday night.

DSC03685.jpg

Didn't work on Saturday, I golfed most of the day. Then we took the kids bowling. Come Sunday. Doing more work. BBQ going, kids swimming, perfect opportunity!

This is where I started

DSC03686.jpg

This is after about an hour of sanding. Top looking good!

DSC03694.jpg

My daughter grabbed the camera in stealth mode!

DSC03695.jpg

Gotta stay hydrated! Captain Morgan and Diet Coke FTMFW!! Wait ice is gone FTMFL! "Honey can you go get daddy some ice please!" WINNING!!

DSC03696.jpg

Ok so this was after another hour on the sides and bottom, which was a ***** because of all the buttons down there. I was simply trying to find the edge of the frame all the way around so that I could take the head unit out and have my edge to work with.

DSC03697.jpg

So! Now, it's time for the moment of truth! I unscrewed the brackets from the dash piece and started trying to get it loose. THEN PANIC SET IN! It wasn't moving at all. What happened was the epoxy had seeped through the sides and set up between the brackets and the dash piece.

So next was remove the brackets from the unit itself, then try to pull them out. Worked. Positive progress. Still obviously worried about the head unit, I walked away from it for a while. After dinner I came back to it and slowly started pulling and wiggling and maneuvering it, and POW it came out!!

Man was I sweating that one! What a relief!

DSC03698.jpg

DSC03700.jpg

Little test fit!

DSC03701.jpg

DSC03702.jpg

Little rough still, but it's only the first coat.

DSC03703.jpg

I took the sanding block and just kind of knocked down the little lip that was around the unit. Now it's kind of roundy. This looks much better. Too small to take a picture so I didn't. Next it was time for a second coat and to see this thing start taking shape. No glass in this one!

DSC03704.jpg

DSC03705.jpg

DSC03706.jpg

DSC03707.jpg

I absolutely love how this second coat came out. I'm very very pleased with it. It's taking shape well, and the part that I was worried about, how it would finish out being the 1/4" lip at the bottom, I feel came out nice. I think a few more coats and it will blend right in.

Got a lot more sanding to do. I think I'm going to get some different paper and a piece of wood to do the rest of the sanding. I only have some sanding discs for my sander I've been using by hand, and then some sponge blocks. I don't want to risk not having a straight edge around the piece, or that dip in the middle I keep having to fill all the way around. So that will allow me a straight taper down.

The other thing I'm going to be doing, is get some rage gold, and some other better filler for finishing. I think that I'm going to go ahead and finish this piece with some carbon fiber vinyl. My only other thought about it, and this is gonna be tricky with not ever doing it before, is to get some carbon fiber and just carbon fiber finish it. I just don't want it to be bulky. I want a nice thin finish. Probably won't paint it. I'll just cover it some how. I'll paint it to see imperfections of course, but I mean finish paint it.

So that's it for now. I'm going to sand some tonight and see where I'm at. I've also got my Scan Gauge Pod to work on and I may work on that tonight as well. Start it at least.

Comments welcome! Thanks for tuning in!

Archived