Truck Design Help....94 Ford F350 CC

Ok so here it is. First, sorry for the long read, but I'm trying to decide what I want to do with my truck. There are some specifics I have that just simply cannot change.

First is, this is a family vehicle for camping and hauling etc. So there's no taking out the back seat, cause believe me I've thought about that.

Second, I have to be able to turn the subs off for when the family is in the car. Maybe have some way of having a little bass, but I’ve thought about a solution to that which you’ll see below. I know I can use a switch to turn off the sub amps, or even turn off the sub signal from the head unit. I don’t know about the latter cause I’m not sure about having the amps still drawing if they’re not on.

I've been looking into this a little bit with the suggestions of a friend of mine, based on what he has. But now I'm kind of going off that and creating my own list of things. So here's what I have in mind, and please by all means this is not set in stone, but I will say that this is a whole new realm for me.

So the major things to keep in mind here are:

#1) I'm on a budget. That is to say that I have to save up before I can buy something. I've gotten myself in some trouble with credit cards by buying my SQ equipment for my car, build is in my signature. I've paid those off now, and I don't want to go through that with this one. So my plan is to buy a piece and pay it off, and so on until the equipment is built up, then start the build.

#2) I'm a little OCD about my stuff matching.

Aside of those things, I think sky's the limit!

First let take a look at the platform, well a little bit. Here's the truck:

DSC03299.jpg

DSC03298.jpg

DSC03297.jpg

Here's some not so great pictures of the interior.

DSC00781.jpg

DSC00776.jpg

I'll try to get some better pictures of the interior.

I just bought an Alpine CDA-9886 for the head unit. I didn't want too many bells and whistles right now. I may change that down the line, but for now that's a pretty good unit. And I got it at a great price. The other equipment I’m looking at is all Sundown Audio. I’ve also started looking at AQ stuff, as well as I’ve always loved Rockford Fosgate Stuff. Theoretically if I used RF, I could do everything with exception of the head unit, unless I find and old school Denford unit.

SO my first order of business is trying to figure out the seating. I think what I'm going to do is go to the junk yards around town here and look for some newer style bucket seats. If I can find some for all 4 seats, then I'll be in business. If not then I'm going to try and get the same 40/20/40 seat like I have up front there with the center console and seat. That center console folds up. So if I go that route the 20 middle section will be removed.

I measured the other day and here's the measurements I came up with. From the front of the front seat, to the back of the back seat, I have 60". Between the seats is 17" - 17 1/2". Height from floor to top of center console, folded down, is 17" but can probably go to 19". I know it's not a flat floor but, giver or take on the measurements. So with all that being said I've estimated I've got about 10 cu ft of space to work with in the center from front to back.

My first thought is 4 - 12's. Then I got to thinking and I think I can squeeze 2 15's in there. By that I mean I have 17" of width basically to work with. I think 15's might be too wide though considering sides of the enclosure etc. What do you guys think? I really could use some thoughts on enclosure size etc so that I can plan on what will fit the most in there. I'm all for fitting the most amount of subs in there. If I could go with 3 15's I'd be fine with that as well.

For this I was thinking Sundown Audio's SA-12's or SA-15's. They seem to be light on the budget and from what I’m hearing great power handlers!

Next, the front doors. I'm planning to do a set of 5.25" components running passive. Then for mid bass duties I’ll be adding an 8" driver. Doors will be sealed up and the door cards will be fiberglassed and most likely rebuilt. I’ll separate the 8" driver from the comps.

For the equipment I’m thinking Alpine SPX-13REF components, and Sundown Audio E8v2D2 drivers in each door.

For the rear I'm thinking I'll probably go the same set up! I'm thinking this for the reason of keeping good bass and good sound while the subs are off, being mainly when the kids and family are in the car. Wife isn't too fond of bass like I am! However, I'm still thinking the same set up.

Same equipment, Alpine comps and the Sundown Audio E8v2's in each door.

Now for the powa!!

I'm going to have to look into a H/O alternator for this beast. It's a 7.5L V8. I'm not sure what it puts out now, but I'm sure I'll need to upgrade that. Not sure if I need to go two or not, but I'll cross that bridge when I find out more info. I'm sure I'll need a few batteries. I could use some suggestions here as well. I know I have room under the cabin on either side for a couple. I think I could build a steel battery rack under there, of course I'll have to learn to weld, but I think I could reasonably fit 2 or maybe 3 on each side of the cabin. I'll get pictures of those spots as well.

For this I was thinking an XS Power 3400 up front and the same for the audio under as well. So I'm guessing anywhere from 4 - 5 total. Again I'm unsure on this one so suggestions are welcome. Not 100% sure how to determine what kind of power I need. I know more is better than too little. Maybe I’ll get to the amps and that will help.

Now for amp power.

Subs: If I go with the 4 12's dual 2ohm, I’m thinking 2 Sundown Audio SAZ-2500D’s. Not 100% sure how to hook them up, meaning strapped or separate. I don’t know if it matters or not. But I could use some info on this if anyone has some to share.

Comps: I'm going to go passive on these comps as I said, so I'll probably just go with one SAX-100.4 for those. They’re rated at 60 watts RMS and 120 Peak. So I think 100 watts per channel will be plenty.

Mid Bass: This is where it gets tricky. These are rated at 200 watts RMS each, at either dual 4ohms or 2ohms. I’ve been thinking about this and I love the look of multiple amps. I think it just screams strength. But I also have limited space. I think my most cost effective way to go on this is going to be 2 SAX-100.4's at 2ohms (subs are dual 2ohm). This will give me 160 watts to each 8" driver, but is maxed on the amp. While I know it’s not tapping the full RMS of the drivers it will give me good amount of power. I could go to 2 - SAX-125.2's and that would give me 200 watts to each one but that would also be maxed out. My other options are go to 4 - SAX-125.s bridged with the ability for 400watts each, or go with dual 4 ohm drivers and go 2 - SAX-100.4's bridged which will give me 320 watts power on tap. I think that’s probably the most cost effective and most efficient way to go. Thoughts are welcome.

So there it is. I have a couple of places in mind for an amp rack depending on the amount of amps. I can fit quite a bit on that back wall. I believe, if I remember correctly, I've got 58" of width on the wall. So I know I'll be taking up some of that with the sub box, but I have room to maneuver that forward. Like I said it's only to the front of the front seat I have that. So I could go up a little and fit 3 SAX 100.4's on one side and then maybe 2 SAZ-2500D's on the other side.

The other thing I could do is go to the roof! I could squeeze all three 100.4's up there length wise, and I mean squeeze, on the roof from the front to the back. Then do the sub enclosure all the way to the back wall and mount the two sub amps diagonally on either side!

Ok I've done enough talking, I could use some suggestions and thoughts now. I can't wait to get started collecting equipment here! Thanks and again sorry for the long read!

So I think the potential list is, depending on suggestions and info from you guys:

1 - Alpine CDA-9886 Head Unit

4 - Sundown SA-12 Dual 2ohm

2 - Sundown SAZ-2500Ds

4 - Sundown E8v2 Dual 4ohm

2 - Sundown SAX-100.4D's (bridged)

2 - Alpine SPX-13REF comps (front and rear doors, passive)

1 - Sundown SAX-100.4D

Power to be decided later

didnt read all of it, but you wanted to do 2 15's or 4 12's without removing the backseat? :S

Driving my 2008 Dodge Ram 2500 MEGA cab with the 5.7 hemi.

Audio: Two 10" Alpine Type R's ( 1000rms models )

Hifonics BRZ 2400.1D @ .5 ohm

Two Kinetic 1400 batteries ( soon to have XS power under hood )

Tsunami 1/0 Awg wire throughout truck.

Stock Infinity 7 speaker system ( Junk ) soon to be replaced, probably all Alpine.

Exterior: 17"Dick cepek rims with 33" Toyo MT tires

Bushwacker fender flares

Magnaflow true duel exhaust

LED tail lights with Projector headlights

Plasti-dip fun coming soon!

honestly i dont think you'll have the airspace for either of those... unless you run like 4 kicker CVT's or something shallow mount in that matter in a sealed box.. why not do something clean like 1 SA-12 ported to specs as a rear seat console?

Stock Infinity 7 speaker system ( Junk ) soon to be replaced, probably all Alpine.

Bushwacker fender flares

What kind of air space would I be looking at for the 4 12's?

well my 2 15's are in 8 cubes, i had to remove my whole backseat so my box goes up about a quarter of the way to my back windows in my dodge ram.

im thinking 4 12's ( Not shallow mounts ) probably would need like.. 6-7cubes or so after displacements i'd think. you'd have to build like a really tall box if you only have the little middle space between two seats to work with. like i said if you wanna use it for a family vehicle, to go camping in, and not have speakers taking up the whole truck. i'd do like 1 12" SA-12 or something. nice simple clean box in the middle, still have both seats for kids / luggage, and would get loud. just my .2

Bushwacker fender flares

ok. I'll look into it. I'm seeing, according to SD that i would need 7.56 cu ft after displacement for the enclosure for 12's. I'm not sure that includes the vent but regardless that is a good size. But if I'm doing my math right, which I may not be and that's fine too cause that's part of why I started this, I have 60" of length, I have 17" of width, and 18-19" of height. So if I do that 60*17*18 = 19380. 19380 divided by 1728 (that's what I should be dividing by isn't it) is 19380 / 1728 = 11.21 cu ft right? Remember this is a crew cab, unless I didn't say that and of course you couldn't remember so my bad, but this is a crew cab. Lots of length in the cab. The top of the current center console in the front seat is 17" tall. So if I went an inch taller that's not that bad as far as comfort. That's why I thought I'd have enough room for 4 12's. And it wouldn't sit too terribly tall. Is my thinking off here? I ask cause, again, I'm not very experienced here in the box building field. I was just going off SD's specs.

I really appreciate your input btw. It helps, thanks! :drinks:

haha im fairly new myself, but i honestly cannot see you getting 4 12's between two backseats :P my box was.. 50"wide x 26 Tall x 22 deep and that took up my whole backseat area up 1/4 of my back window, and that was like 8.3-8.5 cubic feet BEFORE displacement.. i dunno man 4 12's need a pretty good size box to be any good. i would rather see you do 1 or 2 12's in a Proper ported box , rather then 4 in a too small of a box, 2 12's in a good sized box tuned properly will be Way louder and sound better then 4 in the wrong box.. but since your looking at sundown, why not try 4 SA-8's? people have gotten single SA-8's to hit 145+ Dbs.. and there pretty damn cheap..

so honestly if i were you i would do 2 10's, 2 12's, 1 15" or 4 8's... Personally 4 8's would be Bad ass! lol

Bushwacker fender flares

:) just keep doing some research man, i think 4 8s would be sick and keep the comfort zone better then 4 12's crammed in :P

Bushwacker fender flares

Archived