Second Skin Audio

box depth questions etc.

Grelko

building 2x multi sub boxes, 2 or 3x 15s in each

Dimensions of the box are 38in high - "24in wide maybe", What might be the best depth for for airflow/sound and, how thick MDF should i use? 3/4? type of glue etc

How much does depth actually matter? could i just go 1 or 2 inches from the back of the sub and make the back wall of the box or more around a foot+?

How far should I make the hole for the sub from the box wall and how far should I space the subs apart? I was figuring atleast an inch from the box sides and an inch between subs, or is it possible to go clear down to 1/4 in from side and between subs?

Space depends on wether I'd be able to put 2 or 3 15s in each box, might even be able to make the width up to 29 or 30in depending on space I end up with after I finish the interior walls in my van.

I've given up on getting 18s the room I think I'm going to end up with wont be enough for how many I would have wanted.

Is PVC any good to make ports with or just buy the actual ports from a shop?

No idea on port size till I find out the exact size of the box "width and depth"

I've always wondered how good ceramic "sewer pipe" would be for a port lol.

Optimus XL-400w amp 2x 10s IMPP 400w 2x something or other in dash 2x 35w radioshack 8" full-range AcDelco factory radio "frankenstein'd from my dead buick" Dodge seats 1984 Chevy G30 full size 1-ton van "Rust Monster" Progress - around 15% primer/patching

Sold the van in 2014, had it about 75% done, never did get the system in it. Bought a 2000 Chevy S10, still using the same amp/subs. Headunit is XO Vision X538. It's 52x4w, has a dvd player, auto flip out 7" touch screen plus alot more and is a single din.

I take back a couple of those questions since I just noticed the Torres' Box Tuning Calculator in forums

Optimus XL-400w amp 2x 10s IMPP 400w 2x something or other in dash 2x 35w radioshack 8" full-range AcDelco factory radio "frankenstein'd from my dead buick" Dodge seats 1984 Chevy G30 full size 1-ton van "Rust Monster" Progress - around 15% primer/patching

Sold the van in 2014, had it about 75% done, never did get the system in it. Bought a 2000 Chevy S10, still using the same amp/subs. Headunit is XO Vision X538. It's 52x4w, has a dvd player, auto flip out 7" touch screen plus alot more and is a single din.

you can't post these questions in the same thread? I usually don't mind but you have made like 10 threads in the past 2 days asking the same questions over and over and every other thread i open is yours, i'm just sayin. /rant.

90 Nissan 240sx

Avic z-140bh

Audison SR4

Audison Voce 6.5s

CDT es-20 tweeters

Sundown 1500v3

(2) DD 9510's

3 cube box 2 6" aeros

XS Power D2400 & Xp950

Skyhigh/Knukonceptz/Rockford Fosgate wiring

More Coming Soon.. Check my builds below.

97 Civic Hatch Build

86 Caprice Build

you can pick up a chick in a car... I think it'd be hard to roll up mackin on a broad sittin on a sundown. My opinion

ya lol, sry about that, still new here had a bunch of diff ideas, just kept on posting for some reason when i should have just stayed on the same thread and just mixed through everything while in that 1.

the easiest answer for all of your questions is to read through the tons of articles on here about enclosure build & design, you will learn far more than by asking one question at a time

1969 Chevy Chevelle

20/22" staggered Bonspeed Huntingtons wrapped in Nitto INVO's

Mechman 250amp cs144 alt w/AVBM

Kinetik 1800 main battery/Kinetik 2400 in the trunk

Pioneer AVH-3200dvd Headunit

(2) sets of Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine components up front

(2) DD 3512's d4 coils

Sundown sax100.4 component amp

Sundown saz-3000d subwoofer amp

5ft^3 box tuned to 34hz

MY BUILD

Thats what im in the process of doing, just thought itd be easier to do both so i could get input from people on here while reading.

I'll shut up for now and read all I can about it for a couple days.

Thats what im in the process of doing, just thought itd be easier to do both so i could get input from people on here while reading.

I'll shut up for now and read all I can about it for a couple days.

At least the guy is amped to get started.

There will be asnwers to most of your questions out there. I suspect what the guys are getting at... They will help those who make an effort to help them-selves?

Loudness is no substitute for musicianship, and partial deafness is no badge of honor. I was once able to hear this advice.

Build Log>>>

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...pid=672024&

New Build

Believe in the order

At least the guy is amped to get started.

There will be asnwers to most of your questions out there. I suspect what the guys are getting at... They will help those who make an effort to help them-selves?

been reading TONS about everything i can on here lately lol

was thinking about doing 2x boxes... 1x 15" and 2x 12s in each split box BUT really dont want to worry about pissing with mixed freq's

looking more at 2x boxes with 4x 12s in each box rectangle port. each box measuring around 38x28x12 outside, can go more depth clear up to around 24 or so. want to still be able to see out the back of the van to drive lol. Not 100% sure on the exact box sizes until the interior walls are finished but those numbers should be close.

this shouldbe an easy question for some of you folks.... on a budget, is it better to get a good amp and crap speakers, or good speakers and a crap amp, then upgrade the crap ones over time.

I was figuring on getting a crap amp $150 and good 2-3 subs $250+ since the subs dont have to be run at full rms but i cant afford all 8.

also thinking of getting all 8 junk subs for now like $49 each just so i could have a complete setup running for atleast a while, and 2-3 good amps $400+ but only run the amps at half power or less, unless that would burn them out and be upgrading the subs 1 at a time, but not actually installing the new subs till i had them all.

any suggestions?

Archived