Second Skin Audio

Box for 18" Xcon Help

This is my first box build, & I want to build a box like the one below, and my questions are how do I calculate the ports lengths. dimensions are 14h x 33w x 35d

Do I use a port length calculator and just divide the length(36") in half for both ports & make each port wall 18 inches long & 5 inches wide?

portlenght.png

200629_10150170817106678_608506677_8274043_3040679_n.jpg

IMAG0342.jpg

IMAG0343.jpg

IMAG1296.jpg

Edited by marquez7890

My Build Log

95 Honda Accord

Nook HD+ tablet

Team Ascendant Audio 18"

2 Skar Audio SK-2500.1D

Crescendo Audio C1100.4

2006 Civic, Fi SP4 12", bc3500

Build log

The port length given is for EACH port, so each port will need to be 36" long. Also, the volume seems to be a bit on the large side, might want to tone it down to 6.5-7ft^3 unless you're running less than rated power and need the efficiency via a larger chamber. The volume that you use in the port length calcs is the final volume after all sub and port displacements. Then you work backwards to find a suitable box size to give you that final volume after displacements.

Edited by RAM_Designs

Ryan Miskin - owner of RAM Designs

I have my PM's turned off, please email at <script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>

2200+ designs since March 2011...

The port length given is for EACH port, so each port will need to be 36" long. Also, the volume seems to be a bit on the large side, might want to tone it down to 6.5-7ft^3 unless you're running less than rated power and need the efficiency via a larger chamber. The volume that you use in the port length calcs is the final volume after all sub and port displacements. Then you work backwards to find a suitable box size to give you that final volume after displacements.

Thank you for the help and I have 2 more questions,

How come when I use another port length calculator (the one above, http://www.mobileinf...20lenth%201.htm) the tuning frequency is different from the torres with the same height, widths and lengths & volume? the other one i have square and slot checked, and i have 3 common port walls on the torres & torres gives me a different frequency.

Do I need a double baffle for the box below?

This is what I've came up with

its 6.4 cubes @33hz after port and sub displacement.

xconboxportveiw.png

xconboxsideview.png

xconbox.png

xconboxinside2.png

Edited by marquez7890

My Build Log

95 Honda Accord

Nook HD+ tablet

Team Ascendant Audio 18"

2 Skar Audio SK-2500.1D

Crescendo Audio C1100.4

Build log

The way torres calculates the port length is a little different, he measures the port length from the midpoint of the port where most calculators probably use the inner wall of the port (essentially making the port longer). From what I have seen and from listening to Torres help me understand his calcs I would trust his calculator over a random online one (though some are really good also if you look hard enough) but honestly if your tuning is only off a couple Hz then I doubt it will make a huge difference for daily. If you really have questions I bet Torres would gladly explain stuff like he did for me.

Box looks sexy though, I really like the sub model too makes it look more legit :drinks:

Edited by dcofer

The way torres calculates the port length is a little different, he measures the port length from the midpoint of the port where most calculators probably use the inner wall of the port (essentially making the port longer). From what I have seen and from listening to Torres help me understand his calcs I would trust his calculator over a random online one (though some are really good also if you look hard enough) but honestly if your tuning is only off a couple Hz then I doubt it will make a huge difference for daily. If you really have questions I bet Torres would gladly explain stuff like he did for me.

Box looks sexy though, I really like the sub model too makes it look more legit :drinks:

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/38791-torres-box-tuning-calculator/

not to get off topic but how did you make that sub in sketchup?

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

not to get off topic but how did you make that sub in sketchup?

It was already made, I just downloaded a enclosure design from SSA and erased the box then imported it into my sketchup

My Build Log

95 Honda Accord

Nook HD+ tablet

Team Ascendant Audio 18"

2 Skar Audio SK-2500.1D

Crescendo Audio C1100.4

Build log

I just ran the dimensions on the design you just posted because I knew the port area looked too large to be tuned that low with a 21" length. The box you have right now is 6ft^3 tuned to 41hz.

35"x33"x14" = 7.63ft^3 before displacements

4.75"x12.5"x20.75" = .713ft^3, 1.426ft^3 for both

Subtract .25ft^3 for sub displacement, and you're right around 6ft^3

A 6ft^3 box with a pair of 21" long 12.5"x4" ports give you a 41hz tuning.

Edited by RAM_Designs

I have my PM's turned off, please email at <script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>

I just ran the dimensions on the design you just posted because I knew the port area looked too large to be tuned that low with a 21" length. The box you have right now is 6ft^3 tuned to 41hz.

35"x33"x14" = 7.63ft^3 before displacements

4.75"x12.5"x20.75" = .713ft^3, 1.426ft^3 for both

Subtract .25ft^3 for sub displacement, and you're right around 6ft^3

A 6ft^3 box with a pair of 21" long 12.5"x4" ports give you a 41hz tuning.

I just done it by hand and my length came out to be 27.676

this is where i got the 21.45" for the length,

slotportonline.png

slotonline.png

Edited by marquez7890

My Build Log

95 Honda Accord

Nook HD+ tablet

Team Ascendant Audio 18"

2 Skar Audio SK-2500.1D

Crescendo Audio C1100.4

Build log

You need to use the net volume when finding the needed port length, not the gross volume. Otherwise, you can make a situation where the port would need to take up the entire box and leave you with no chamber volume.

Use the net volume you want to find port length, find the disacement of the ports, then work backwards to find the dimensions needed to give you that net volume after sub and port displacements.

Edited by RAM_Designs