got a few questions about the new alt i have ordered plus 14v questions...

so i bought a 270 amp large case alt for my jeep, matt @ mechman was telling me that it has a adjustable voltage on the alt it self, something like the stinger voltmeters....now heres where my problem lies, i wanna run it as a 12 volt system for now until i can obtain a decent battery bank of 14volt battery's , what voltage is a good "12 volt" system voltage? matt suggested that 16 some odd volts would be a good range for a 14 volt system, but how about a 12volt system? also what batts would you recemend for around 7k watts roughly on that 270 amp alt? right now i have a red top and a HC1400, but as a 14volt system what would you suggest front batt and back batts? im open to any brands

thanks! look for the rebuild starting sometime in sept/oct!

Edited by Freshman6969

Legal TL scores145.6 on the dash sealed up in the low 40hz area with the port out145.5 on the dash sealed up @30hz with the port inless then 1k clamped on a 3.5k!

Why would you EVER WANT flex?
huh?...flex is what can make the lows lower and more air being pushed correct?
jeff_zps9bc81ace.jpg

me_zps0fb5a5b4.jpgMy FeedbackJeep-BuildlogPT LOSER buildlog

set it at 15v COLD with lights on, have someone rev your engine to about 2000rpm check voltage with DMM at the front battery. It will come down to safe level of mid 14v as car and the day warms up and goes by.

Edited by crunkjuice1

VbjgkeI.jpg

c7HmdKx.jpg

Xs d1400s id do at least 4 or more for that power 14v is the best made a huge difference in my system

TEAM DC AUDIO

VEHICLE:98 chevy tahoe 2wd 3-4 drop

HEADUNIT:alpine 9886

PREAMP:arcaudio

FRONT STAGE:4-6 1/2s selinium,DD component set and 4-selinium tweeters in each door

KICKPANELS:jl audio 5 1/4

REAR DOORS: dd components 6 1/2s

HIGHS AMPS:zapco 750.2 on front doors,zapco an another 750.2 on kicks and rear doors

SUBS:4-ascendant audio 18s with 5 spiders in a custom box built by KINGSUV

SUB AMP: 2-dc7.5s

ALTERNATORS: 3-mechmans 1- 425comp, 1-smd spec350, 1-270 with adj voltage harness on custom dc bracket

WIRE:10-runs 0g front to back

BATTERIES:6-d1400s

TL results:157.1 at 38hz and 156.8 at headrest score @37hz. STATE AND NATIONAL RECORD IN MECA S5.

set it at 15v COLD with lights on, have someone rev your engine to about 2000rpm check voltage with DMM at the front battery. It will come down to safe level of mid 14v as car and the day warms up and goes by.

with the lights on? i dont get why, isent that draining more power?

im just confused on what voltage range a 14v system is...i know a 12v system is not 12 volts, i rest at 13.8 with the engine warm

Xs d1400s id do at least 4 or more for that power 14v is the best made a huge difference in my system

i dont think rooms an issue but id like to have as little batterys as possible because im cheap lmao, but id rather not have massive voltage drop lol, the 1400s are 14v correct?

Legal TL scores145.6 on the dash sealed up in the low 40hz area with the port out145.5 on the dash sealed up @30hz with the port inless then 1k clamped on a 3.5k!

jeff_zps9bc81ace.jpg

bump, bump, bump, bump bump it up!

jeff_zps9bc81ace.jpg

so i got some new questions here, if i were to run say 3 XS 1400's in the back, what should i put up front? ive seen people mixing say a 3400 with 1400s, can i do that safely?

jeff_zps9bc81ace.jpg

no you cant have both 12v and 14v bats on the same alt. youd be severely over charging the 12 bat. you could use a step down but idk if it would work or even be worth it to step down a run to the front 12v bat and another run to the back. it should work. i know kinetik 16v bats have three posts so you can simply connect the car to the 12v post and the rest to 16v post.

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Factory Unit via 4 chan NVX LOC

Excessive Amperage "H/O" Alt

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

Big 3. 2 Runs of +, 2 Runs of -

DD M3b and 2 12" AQ HDC4s

yea a step down would be the only way however than means the 12v bat is only for the car.. so a 3100 for the car alone is overkill you couldnt put both a 12v and a 14v bat to a single amp...

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Factory Unit via 4 chan NVX LOC

Excessive Amperage "H/O" Alt

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

Big 3. 2 Runs of +, 2 Runs of -

DD M3b and 2 12" AQ HDC4s

yeah to much work and money for something simple, ill stick with 12v for the time being lol, thanks for the input though appricate it

what should i set my alt at for a 12v system? 15.5? or 15 flat, ive seen both said

jeff_zps9bc81ace.jpg

14.8 and 14v batts aren't anymore expensive than 12v goodluck to you

TEAM DC AUDIO

VEHICLE:98 chevy tahoe 2wd 3-4 drop

HEADUNIT:alpine 9886

PREAMP:arcaudio

FRONT STAGE:4-6 1/2s selinium,DD component set and 4-selinium tweeters in each door

KICKPANELS:jl audio 5 1/4

REAR DOORS: dd components 6 1/2s

HIGHS AMPS:zapco 750.2 on front doors,zapco an another 750.2 on kicks and rear doors

SUBS:4-ascendant audio 18s with 5 spiders in a custom box built by KINGSUV

SUB AMP: 2-dc7.5s

ALTERNATORS: 3-mechmans 1- 425comp, 1-smd spec350, 1-270 with adj voltage harness on custom dc bracket

WIRE:10-runs 0g front to back

BATTERIES:6-d1400s

TL results:157.1 at 38hz and 156.8 at headrest score @37hz. STATE AND NATIONAL RECORD IN MECA S5.