Suggestions on a laptop?

My budget is about $900. This is for college use as well as recreational use. I prefer a 17.3", include many of the Microsoft programs pre-installed (preferred), cd/dvd (bleuray?) burner, speed and ram is a big factor and must run quickly and have many tasks open all of the time, a nice set of speakers on the laptop. I do not have a preference on brand.

A nice set of speakers? Completely doable. But relatively speaking they still won't be good. There is only so much sound you can get out of 1 inch drivers and 2.5 watts of power.

Many universities offer discounts on office packages. There is also a website that let's you download it for like 50 bucks if I remember correctly. I suggest finding it elsewhere and installing it that way.

If this Is going to be a computer you walk around campus with, I strongly suggest a 15 inch or smaller. I tote around a large laptop on A daily basis and while it is something I do because I like to game while I'm on campus, it isn't something I would suggest everyone do. 7 pounds doesn't sound like much, but when it's all said and done, you will end up with about 15+ lbs. on. Still, if you find the added weight something you won't mind, more power to you.

Regardless, all this should be attainable within your budget, assuming you aren't looking to engage in gaming at high settings.

What kind of battery life are you looking for?

As an aside, I suggest avoiding a screen with a res of 1366 x 768 or less. Once you step up, you will have a hard time going back down. Trust me on this one.

After you reply, I'll see if I can't get to a computer and give you a couple suggestions.

Edited by BJD3

You may be offended by the above. Don't take it personally, I'm just abrasive.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

Yes I know some laptops have some impressive sound nowadays. I do not care about a heavier weight (17.3) The office package sounds like a good idea. I do not need it to game. I am looking for a pretty good battery life. And screen res would be great if it was nice. My outlook on a laptop is that I am going to be using it very often for the next coming years so I want the best of the best for $900.

i have been getting my laptops for the last few years from best buy. my current is a asus ROG g72 bought for $1200 few yrs ago. maybe you can find one now cheaper. has 17" screen,6g ram,500g hd and is no slouch.best part for you would be the backlit keyboard so your roommate can sleep while you type in the dark.

03 Santa Fe E A 200 amp alt,JVC AVX840,kenwood 6.5 fr speakers,eclipse 6.5 rears,mids/high amp XTA-2160, sub amp XTA-5000d,0 guage throughout,batts-front/1 batcap 2000,rear/ batcap4000,2 C&D Dynasty agms, subs 2 DC XL M1 15"s in a music box tuned to 28hz....for now.

i have been getting my laptops for the last few years from best buy. my current is a asus ROG g72 bought for $1200 few yrs ago. maybe you can find one now cheaper. has 17" screen,6g ram,500g hd and is no slouch.best part for you would be the backlit keyboard so your roommate can sleep while you type in the dark.

That's a beast of a computer, no doubt, but its a gaming rig through and through. Battery life sucks balls.

I'd completely forgotten about this thread.

Off hand, two computers I can point you toward are the HP Envy and the Dell XPS. I personally hate HP, but either computer should serve your needs.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

get a used referbished dell latitude laptop on ebay you can get one for around $350 to $450 its all you need plenty fast enough and way better build heavy duty compared to those flimsy walmart laptops for the same price save yourself the money for your woofers and amps i never buy a new laptop for $900 thats crazy

get a used referbished dell latitude laptop on ebay you can get one for around $350 to $450 its all you need plenty fast enough and way better build heavy duty compared to those flimsy walmart laptops for the same price save yourself the money for your woofers and amps i never buy a new laptop for $900 thats crazy

lol I would not buy a refurb computer off of ebay. Warranty anyone? As a student, having a computer you know you can send in and in a week or two have a fully functioning computer in your hands is worth money.

But he is right about the Latitude line.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert