Pro Audio Speakers, real SQ?

mrd6

So my question is, how do pro audio drivers and horn tweeters such as those made by selenium, eminence, the new sundowns etc. stack up sound quality wise with other speakers. I mean true sound quality, when people talk about PA drivers they always say "they get LOUD but sound really clean" or something like that but what about real tonal balance, imaging, dynamics and other important aspects needed to create an accurate sound.

Yes, A LOT of that has to do with the install, amps, enclosures, and processing and whatnot but all that aside the speakers themselves will still have their own limitations.

I am asking because my sub stage is about to get much louder and i am guessing my pioneer premier PRS component set run active on an MB quart Q4.80 and alpine 9887 HU still may not be enough to keep up. However, this set-up sounds damn good, these pioneers are comparable to the focal k2 power component set or the hertz hsk 165 in SQ.

So after the long winded explanation, what differences have you guys who have experience with both the PA speakers as well as higher end SQ drivers noticed between the two?

Team NorthWestSPL

I have the mb q4.150 also and I'm running 2 8" powerbass mids and 2 6.5's in each door of my integra the build is on here. And with the x-overs on the amp an a clarion pre- amp /eq have got them cleaner and louder then any set of comps I've had before. I've had two sets of RE Audio 6.5c's, 2 sets of crescendos, jbl 650c's, if tuned right pro audio is the way to IMO.

I compete in meca SQ I got the planet audio pro 8's in my doors and the super compression tweeters in the dash the judges have loved how it sounds tonality wise and how crisp and clean the tweeters sound but I don't have a processor yet to fix issues like imaging and phase so my scores are low but for sound quality they do excellent :good:

Teamflexissueslong.jpg

06 chrysler 300C Hemi

one mmatts dreadnaut 15 powered by a planet audio vx 2200d

fosgate p200 running planet audio 8" midbass drivers and super compression tweeters

stock battery and a stinger spv44

Irragi 300 amp alternator

big 3 1/0

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/55075-system-in-my-300c/page__view__findpost__p__763656__fromsearch__1

good to know guys, i appreciate the responses!:drinks:

looks like i may be giving it a try here in the near future

for some reason i have this idea in my head that they will sound less natural on more laid back or acoustic music and miss some of the subtle nuances in more complex music. Would you say this is not the case?

Edited by mrd6

Team NorthWestSPL

i am personally not a fan of PA speakers. you can make them sound good but i have not seen any of the SQ guys running PA speakers out here. I dont believe i will ever put them in my car.

my meca score is in my sig.

Edited by skittlesRgood

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

good to know guys, i appreciate the responses!:drinks:

looks like i may be giving it a try here in the near future

for some reason i have this idea in my head that they will sound less natural on more laid back or acoustic music and miss some of the subtle nuances in more complex music. Would you say this is not the case?

When it comes to distortion, it's hard to beat a pro audio speaker. Most are 8 ohms, therefore they seem to put a little less strain on the amps. While still maintaining great efficiency. Skittles is right, I have yet to see a world class SQ car with pro audio speakers. On a side note, you need to judge where you want to be. Do you want to be there with those world class competitors and put more money into your driver door and driver a pillar than I have in my highs stage, sometimes including processing.... Or do you want to sound good on a budget. I've heard skittles car in person. Sounds great. Could he make it sound better with pro audio speakers? I wouldn't say no... but it'll take some time and some fine tuning via expensive mics and an RTA.

I advocate for pro audio speakers only because of the price. Most people that have to ask haven't been around the block and aren't willing to dig that far into their pockets to make their system sound like a world class 90 point SQ car. SQ really comes down to speaker placement and processing more than anything. I'm not saying that I've been around the block when it comes to SQ either... But I've heard and seen some badass SQ cars.

Edited by Blackedout

oh okay interesting. Good info guys. It would be nice to find someone in the Seattle area who runs PA stuff in their car in a sq orientation but its pretty hard to find anything half way decent car audio wise here these days.

Haha know anyone?

Edited by mrd6

Team NorthWestSPL