Second Skin Audio

Blown sub battery test?

Im getting a dc xl 12 on monday that I got from ebay. Guy said it was in good condition but who knows. Any ways I dont have a multi metter so cant check that way. But I remember seeing a video on youtube that said you can check voice coils with a small battery, any truth? I dont recall if he used a AA or a 9v but he said if the cone moves when you hook it up your good if not the its blown. I cant seam to find the video anymore so I cant double check

You can use 12v from your car but mainly to test polarity. You can use it both ways and one should go in and the other make the cone move out. But some won't have problems till played by an amp. But yes you can test it a sub just needs a little more then a 9 volt battery. Move the cone by hand if it's crunchy sounding or gritty as it moves then it's done for.

Im getting a dc xl 12 on monday that I got from ebay. Guy said it was in good condition but who knows. Any ways I dont have a multi metter so cant check that way. But I remember seeing a video on youtube that said you can check voice coils with a small battery, any truth? I dont recall if he used a AA or a 9v but he said if the cone moves when you hook it up your good if not the its blown. I cant seam to find the video anymore so I cant double check

RandyAudio is incorrect in two respects:

Using your car battery to check for continuity will impose on the entire speaker to an unnecessary

degree... great way to open circuit or warp the voice coil if applied for more than a microsecond.

He also proclaims that a 9v battery (household type he seems to be implying) is potentially incapable

of this task. In actuality even a tiny 3v watch battery is effective and far safer- if an ohm meter is

not at hand.