Sundown Audio

mtx rfl600 amp help

cashmoney

ok i just got this mtx rfl600 amp from the mtx sale. its a 4 ohm bridge to 2 ohm. my question is i hook subs up 4 ohm and the sub just sucks in when i turn the amp on it does it if i hook it up 2 ohm to but if i run my mtx ts55 to it wired 1 ohm the amp works fine just when i really let the sub eat sometime i blow my inline fuse which is a 80 amp. so should i just get a bigger fuse and just run the amp at 1 ohm

can you tell me how the sub is hooked up to your amp? it sounds like you wired it wrong.

Also can you double check the resistance of your sub to make sure its at 4 ohms? The power output will suck but id bridge it at 4 ohms. DO NOT run the amp at 1 ohm, there is a reason why your fuse keeps blowing. You are putting extreme stress on your amp at 1 ohm and it is not made to run that low. Dont do it or fear the problem of melting your power wire or burning the amp up.

and edit: you cant bump your thread no more than once every 24 hours, thats one full day.

Edited by kickass audio

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

i have my sub which is a dual 2 ohm hooked up pos of one coil to neg of the other one and the amp hooked pos to one coil and neg to the other one and it would just suck the sub in and i had a old kicker sub dual 4 ohm i wired down to 2 ohms and hooked to the amp it did the same thing. when the subs wired to 1 ohm the amp and sub dont even get hot just every no and then the fuse would blow

It should be wired to the amp so that the left channel positive goes to the positive wire of your sub, and the right channel negative goes to the negative of your sub.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

It may be the amp. Do you happen to have another one to try it with just for kicks? Also if you push on the middle of your subwoofers cone, do you hear any scratching noises or does the sub bounce like a ball when you let go of it?

If you havent already tried it, try to wire it so that your amp is only using one channel. i.e. connect the positive wire of your woofer to the positive of the left channel, and connect the negative wire of your subwoofer to the negative wire of your left channel.

the sub is brand new when i push on it its still tight and the coil dont make any noise im ganna try a different amp tomorrow.the amp is a mono block ive tried both sides of the channel. just cause a amp does not say its 1 ohm could it still work at 1 ohm and be fine

Edited by cashmoney

If its a monoblock then forget what i mentioned about the left channel positive and right channel negative that wont make any difference. Monoblocks with 4 speaker terminals (2 positive and 2 negative) are internally connected to eachother. They just have 4 outputs to make it a lot easier to the installer for changing impedances without taking the sub in and out of the box a million times. It also wont matter which side you put it on as long as the positive and negatives dont touch one another you will be just fine.

For running the amp at 1 ohm, if it doesnt say it can do it chances are its not made to do it at that load at all. Most amp manufacturers like to blow up the biggest specs they can about their amps. If they can do low impedances, they will put that in huge yellow font to grab the buyers attention, if its got a lot of max output power that you will never actually see, they will make that big. Point being unless its a high end amp it will not do 1 ohm at all. If your amp gets hot, sounds like crap, or your sub is bottoming out then your amp 100% cannot handle the 1 ohm load. I had a amp that was made for 2 ohms and when i was screwing around with it, i put it to .25 ohms (hahahaha, thank god i learned what i was doing) and that amp would get so damn hot that it would feel like your hand was in the middle of a camp fire. I then put the impedance back up to 2 ohms and it ran just fine.