alternator or batteries

hey i have a 2004 jeep grand cherokee 4.7l v8 that comes with a stock 132 amp alt but its getting old. I want to run a 15" fi btl n2 at 2000wrms. I don't know if i should find a new ho alternator or if i should just buy a xs d3400 batteryor a couple small xs batteries and put it under the hood or in back. the amp i will be running will probabally be an aq2200d or a sundown saz 2000d. I don't now much about amps and voltage so any input would be great.

Edited by 13mwolson

what kind of battery(ies) do you have now? whats your budget? is the big three done?

i plan doing the big 3 but i don't want to buy an alt and a battery.its just way too expensive. i would only get one but i don't know what one to go with. apparently batteries are only good for listening to your subs with your car off from what iv heard, but i dont want to do that. but if i had to choose a battery it would be a xs d3400, without a h/o alt though.

Can you play the subs while driving just off of batteries or does all of the power come straight from the alternator.

Everything works in unison as a single system. (Generally speaking.) The amplifier draws current from the batteries, as this happens the alternator recharges the batteries.

This is all generically explained for a little bit of understanding.

In your situation i'd do The Big 3 then look into a secondary battery for your trunk/cargo area. Why not go with the XS D3100? It will still cost you less than an efficient alternator would. If you still see the need for a beefier electrical with the second battery, THEN look into a third battery or the high output alternator. I am sure you will want to demo while sitting still. Alternators reach their maximum output at a higher rate of rpms, (You would have to sit and keep the engine revved.) this is where a battery would better suit your application since you would not be driving.

You will get a few different opinions on this. And that is exactly what they are, opinions. But from my experience, it would only make sense to get a large secondary battery in this situation to fit your needs.

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Two 12" DC Audio XL M2'sCrescendo Audio BC5500d

Current Scores: 150+ out the Trunk

On 6/30/2011 at 1:11 AM, 'Ray' said:

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not.

Can you play the subs while driving just off of batteries or does all of the power come straight from the alternator.

i

Everything works in unison as a single system. (Generally speaking.) The amplifier draws current from the batteries, as this happens the alternator recharges the batteries.

This is all generically explained for a little bit of understanding.

In your situation i'd do The Big 3 then look into a secondary battery for your trunk/cargo area. Why not go with the XS D3100? It will still cost you less than an efficient alternator would. If you still see the need for a beefier electrical with the second battery, THEN look into a third battery or the high output alternator. I am sure you will want to demo while sitting still. Alternators reach their maximum output at a higher rate of rpms, (You would have to sit and keep the engine revved.) this is where a battery would better suit your application since you would not be driving.

You will get a few different opinions on this. And that is exactly what they are, opinions. But from my experience, it would only make sense to get a large secondary battery in this situation to fit your needs.

thanks for all of the info! But yea I want to demo but I also want to be able to drive and play at full tilt. So would I be able to drive and play off of batteries while my lil alternator charges the battery while I watch the volts and when it drops to around 12.9 turn it down and let my alt recharge the batts?

Honestly, if you can scrape up the cash for a D3100, I would definitely suggest getting it over the D3400. It should be more than able to support whichever of those amplifiers you choose from. The D3100 would still run you less money than an alternator that would be cost efficient and valuable in your case.

And as I stated before, as the system works in unison, the alternator DOES charge your batteries WHILE you are playing, as long as the vehicle is running. So even as you are playing and you see voltage drop, the alternator will be constantly working to recharge the current that has been drawn from them by your amplifier.

Long story short, a second battery in the rear will allow you to demo while driving or remaining at idle. (Sitting in place.)This is assuming that you are running a large enough secondary battery.

The only real suggestion with this is that if you notice your alternator struggling to charge the cell over time, just hook up a battery charger every once in a while. 2000wrms isn't an insane amount of power to worry about, especially after you factor in rise and efficiency. You should be just fine. :good:

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Two 12" DC Audio XL M2'sCrescendo Audio BC5500d

Current Scores: 150+ out the Trunk

On 6/30/2011 at 1:11 AM, 'Ray' said:

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not.

Ok thanks a lot for the info. I'll just go for the d3100 then. And yea I don't really want to play much at idle I just want to be able to cruise and bump at full tilt for a bit until I see the voltage drop And then turn it down to let the alt recharge the batt. I was confused because I read a post where the guy said the batteries are only good for playing at idle and the alt gives the amp all of Its power when driving and the batteries dont do anything. What battery would you recommend for my trunk then?

60-70amps should be perfect to charge a battery for your draw.

/sarcasm

I would honestly upgrade both alternator and battery. You don't need 300amps, but I would see what Mechman can do for you, and then save up later for a D2700. But then again, some of us love beefy electrical

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?