Sonic Electronix

To start off with, I was running an 800 Wrms amp on 4 AWG wiring with a Powermaster 150A alt and a Yellow top Optima. I took out the old amp/wire and installed all new 1/0, a Kinetic HC2400, and a Hifonics BRZ2400.1. Before this I was reading 13.8V at the alternator when hot @idle. With the new amp and battery in Sunday night, I woke up yesterday, my car was dead and I had to jump it. Drove into work and throughout the day my car sat at about 13.3~13.4V when at idle. I took the alt off, had it tested at Advanced Auto, and they said it's sitting at 14.4V, but the guy seemed pretty dumb and it took him almost 30 minutes to test. Last night I took the amp fuse off before going to bed... started my car this morning with no problems, made the 20~25 minute drive to work and checked my voltage again. Now I'm sitting at ~13.55V @ hot idle.

So... anyone got any advice?

EDIT: Also, when I was finishing up the install and went to hook up the amp, stuff got a little sparky. Not big, no huge blue sparks, just little yellow sparks as I was tightening down the bolts.

EDIT: Spelling > Me

You swapped in the kinectic that's were I woul look 1st. If it was low or dead it will bring your charge rate down and could kill your alternator. You can't really have your local parts stores test them because they will all tell you its bad. So put it on a agm charger or put the yellow top back in

TEAM DC AUDIO

VEHICLE:98 chevy tahoe 2wd 3-4 drop

HEADUNIT:alpine 9886

PREAMP:arcaudio

FRONT STAGE:4-6 1/2s selinium,DD component set and 4-selinium tweeters in each door

KICKPANELS:jl audio 5 1/4

REAR DOORS: dd components 6 1/2s

HIGHS AMPS:zapco 750.2 on front doors,zapco an another 750.2 on kicks and rear doors

SUBS:4-ascendant audio 18s with 5 spiders in a custom box built by KINGSUV

SUB AMP: 2-dc7.5s

ALTERNATORS: 3-mechmans 1- 425comp, 1-smd spec350, 1-270 with adj voltage harness on custom dc bracket

WIRE:10-runs 0g front to back

BATTERIES:6-d1400s

TL results:157.1 at 38hz and 156.8 at headrest score @37hz. STATE AND NATIONAL RECORD IN MECA S5.

Couple of updates, no pictures though. Had the alt out and tested and read out 14.4V. Put back in car and took the Kinetik out and was still sitting around 13.3V. Had front battery tested... checked out okay. So I said okay, start checking ground. Then realized I never did the engine block to neg. DERP Put a new chunk of 1/0 to the front of the battery and it starts charging up at 13.8V when measured across the battery. hmmm. Put kinetik back in the back and still charges at 13.8. Measure from Alternator + to top of engine block. Sitting at 14.4. DAMN. Take new engine ground back off, old body ground off, and alternator. Then remove shock tower bolt, take off paint with wire wheel, new 1/0 ground to shock tower, and new engine ground to one of the bolts that holds the alternator on... hook everything up and start car... charging at 14.56V yahoo.gif:woot:

Archived