Sonic Electronix

The way I paint Chrome rims is to first wet sand them with 400 grit paper. It's time consuming. Then wipe them clean with a good paint prep cleaner. 2 coats of Bulldog adhesive spray, 1 coat black Sealer, 2 coats of black paint, then 2 coats of clear. I've always used either PPG or House of Kolors products.

I think 400 grit is a little fine. You can use 180 and do scratch reduction afterwards. 180 to 240 to 400. Clean thoroughly with soap and water, use wax and grease remover and a dry towel to wipe down, then wipe down with a wet rag to make sure all the solvent is off and to prevent solvent popping in your paint. Prime and sand with 240 to ensure a smooth surface, blow dust off with an air gun, clean with wax and grease remover, then wipe with a wet rag again. Spray two coats of sealer, color, then clear with appropriate flash times between each coat. Then detail after to remove any dirt that got in the paint, and polish to finish :drinks: best of luck

My F-150 Build (So Far)

2 DC L3 10's

Kenwood KDC-X794

(4) Selenium ST200 (Highs)

(2) RE X8 (Mids)

Sundown Sub/Mid/High Amps

Shuriken Batteries

Knu Wiring

My Feedback Thread

painting chrome sucks pure n simple lol

I suggest doing the steup method, 180/200 then 400, lots of cleaner and prep, use a good sealers. prime, sand with fine grit. use a good paint, rim paint is over priced and not worth it imo, I've seen engine enamel work fine or that plastikote stuff

Thanks for the info. I was going to use a wired cup Brush on a drill. It might not be a good idea though.

I would say no to that

Thanks for the info. I was going to use a wired cup Brush on a drill. It might not be a good idea though.

If you want it to last and not flake off like a bunch of idiots painted wheels, I'd follow the steps i posted earlier, guaranteed to last i promise you. It wont be easy or low budget because paint supplies are expensive

My F-150 Build (So Far)

2 DC L3 10's

Kenwood KDC-X794

(4) Selenium ST200 (Highs)

(2) RE X8 (Mids)

Sundown Sub/Mid/High Amps

Shuriken Batteries

Knu Wiring

My Feedback Thread