Sonic Electronix

Tryin So Hard To Learn. Box And Tuning Help

Okay im 15 and i have a mtx thunder 4000 10" sub in my truck under the back seat of my truck is a small ish sealed box. The sub doesn't hit the lows very good and i want a change. I dont have the money for a new sub and all that stuff. The sub is hooked up to a 500 watt amp. I was supposed to have a ported box made by a buddy but he is always busy. I kinda want to do this myself. I'm really confused though on these things so if you could please answer these (:

1. The box will be going under the back seat again but will be much bigger. How do i figure up the volume of the box and how big i need to make it since the seat tapers a bit and gets lower towards the back. Higher in the front. If that makes since?

2. What do i need this box tuned to, i like bass, but i also love clarity and want it to sound clean?? How do i even go about doing this and the tuning stuff? do i just build a ported box in general with the right space for my sub and then its tuned after its built or does the box have to built a certain way to get the right Hz?

3. What is an ohm?? when someone says my sub is running at 1 ohm? what the hell does that mean? haha. I am really seriously trying to get this! All i do is read stuff on this site.

4. http://store.mtx.com/caraudio/archive/thunder4000.cfm Here is the link to the specs on my sub. I have the 10" like i said, But then it says 4 ohms, 8 ohms? etc. what do i have? what does all this mean? do i need to take into consideration the mounting depth and all of that?

Thank you guys so much for taking the time to read this. I really am trying hard and i will get it eventually. :) SMD for LIFE

My Truck Build
sigpic2503_3.gif
Spending money on things I don't need, to impress others I don't know.
At the end of the day for me its about the love of customizing anything and everything to limits or even past reasonable.-SkyHighCarAudio

1. Get some measurements for the space available, and we can work from there.

2. What music do you listen to? I enjoy a 35hz tuning personally, but everyone (and there vehicle) is different.

3. Though I'm not sure of the exact definition, it's basically resistance. You need to match up your subwoofer to the desired load of your amp to get the full power out of it. If you have a D2ohm woofer, you can wire to 1ohm or 4ohm. With a D4ohm woofer you can wire to 2ohm or 8ohm. Single Voice Coil woofers, like an S4ohm woofer, can be wired to their respective load.

4. You need to find out what impedance your subwoofer is. Look for a label on the woofer or product box, or take a DMM to the coil.

Bassless once again. Can't seem to keep a system for more than a few weeks :)

Saving for a '06 Nissan 350z, look for build around June 2012.

1. Get some measurements for the space available, and we can work from there.

2. What music do you listen to? I enjoy a 35hz tuning personally, but everyone (and there vehicle) is different.

3. Though I'm not sure of the exact definition, it's basically resistance. You need to match up your subwoofer to the desired load of your amp to get the full power out of it. If you have a D2ohm woofer, you can wire to 1ohm or 4ohm. With a D4ohm woofer you can wire to 2ohm or 8ohm. Single Voice Coil woofers, like an S4ohm woofer, can be wired to their respective load.

4. You need to find out what impedance your subwoofer is. Look for a label on the woofer or product box, or take a DMM to the coil.

Alright thanks man! I will take some measurments tomorrow when its light. My truck is well.. obviously a truck haha. I listen to rap and rock! Just depends on my mood. Haha i like the 50 cent, just a lil bit. HITS HARD.. well it would if my sub wouldnt bottom out haha. Cant hit the lows. Thanks for the info! One last thing, so does the box do the tuning or do u just build a box in general and then u tune it? (: thanks

My Truck Build
sigpic2503_3.gif
At the end of the day for me its about the love of customizing anything and everything to limits or even past reasonable.-SkyHighCarAudio

Your port will affect tuning. The longer it is, the lower your enclosure will be tuned to. The shorter it is, the higher it will be tuned to. I suggest downloading Torres Box Calculator in the Subwoofer section, and just play with the dimensions to get a feel of it.

Bassless once again. Can't seem to keep a system for more than a few weeks :)

Saving for a '06 Nissan 350z, look for build around June 2012.

Your port will affect tuning. The longer it is, the lower your enclosure will be tuned to. The shorter it is, the higher it will be tuned to. I suggest downloading Torres Box Calculator in the Subwoofer section, and just play with the dimensions to get a feel of it.

Thanks so much man! ill get this :D haha i know i can do it. Just take me a little bit of time. So.. i guess say i wanted it tuned to 35hz how do i know how long the port will be?

Edited by Twostrokeking

My Truck Build
sigpic2503_3.gif

One more thing! Until i can get this box built and all that should i take the sub out of the box.. and see how its wired and make sure its to the right ohms for my amp?? ( i didnt install this, it came in the truck)

My Truck Build
sigpic2503_3.gif

Okay New plan. the guy that was going to build it for me wrecked his fourwheeler at the dunes and can't do very much. He is drawing it up for me and im going to build it. It will be going under the back seat of my '95 chevy K1500 truck so im fiberglassing the bottom to get a good fit and use all the room i can. He said something in a text about building a frame and then stretching fleece to get the mold of my floor?? can someone please explain how you do this? If i understand it right you build the box sides and then stretch loose fleece across the bottom. lay it in and the fleece will form to the shapes under the back seat of the truck. Then u lay in the resin and glass?? if you could please explain that and then maybe link me to a thread where someone did that? I cant find anything on it.

My Truck Build
sigpic2503_3.gif

Okay New plan. the guy that was going to build it for me wrecked his fourwheeler at the dunes and can't do very much. He is drawing it up for me and im going to build it. It will be going under the back seat of my '95 chevy K1500 truck so im fiberglassing the bottom to get a good fit and use all the room i can. He said something in a text about building a frame and then stretching fleece to get the mold of my floor?? can someone please explain how you do this? If i understand it right you build the box sides and then stretch loose fleece across the bottom. lay it in and the fleece will form to the shapes under the back seat of the truck. Then u lay in the resin and glass?? if you could please explain that and then maybe link me to a thread where someone did that? I cant find anything on it.

i think he just made this complicated. if i'm understanding correctly, he wants a mold of your floor. probably because he wants to know what shape and size he's working with.

i'm not sure how exactly to do fiberglass, but i know there's instructions somewhere.

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

I can fiberglass :) it's just Im not sure what he means and ive already asked him a billion and 1 questions haha

My Truck Build
sigpic2503_3.gif