Alright, Windows 98 Keyboard Problem

I got this Windows 98 computer that I have some programs on that I need! I just got the computer up and running again but some weird thing is happening. I have the PS/2 mouse and keyboard plugged in then I start the computer, It boots up like normal then when it comes to the login screen I enter in the password and everything like normal. But after that the keyboard freezes... I hit num lock and the light just stays on, caps lock light does not turn on, scroll lock light does not turn on... Its like after the login there is a preference set to disable the keyboard, and I really need the keyboard... Anyone know what the problem could be? I have been working on this computer for 2 days now and feel like it was a waste of time... Thanks for your time.

And it is recognized in Device manager.

Edited by Cdizzle

Damn Thiefs

supportingmemeber.gif

try a different keyboard. or maybe even try a USB one after the computer gets booted.

225HP 1996 S-Dime

JVC KD-G820

Crunch PZi 2250 powering Two Ascendant Audio Assassin 8s wired to 2 ohm at 225W RMS 2.26CF @ 36.4Hz 43.5 square inches of port with 45's

Kicker ZX350.4 powering CDT CL-61A's with TW-24 Tweeters

Contact me:

AIM: Necromancer Ku

YIM: Ku_Karukasa

MSN: [email protected]

verification_seal.gif

Guest MegaloManiac
try a different keyboard. or maybe even try a USB one after the computer gets booted.

wont do him any good since its windows 98 which requires drivers for everything manually :(

wont do him any good since its windows 98 which requires drivers for everything manually :(

as long as it's a standard keyboard, it shouldn't require drivers. 98 had some PnP technology

225HP 1996 S-Dime

JVC KD-G820

Crunch PZi 2250 powering Two Ascendant Audio Assassin 8s wired to 2 ohm at 225W RMS 2.26CF @ 36.4Hz 43.5 square inches of port with 45's

Kicker ZX350.4 powering CDT CL-61A's with TW-24 Tweeters

Contact me:

AIM: Necromancer Ku

YIM: Ku_Karukasa

MSN: [email protected]

verification_seal.gif

Unplug the keyboard while the computer is at the desktop after it boots up..See if that resets it..I had to do that..Pissed me off..Unplug it wait like 2 seconds then plug it back in..If that don't work..IDK

They keyboard works... I can type in my user name and password to get into windows. After that its like there is a preference to disable the keyboard cause I cant type shit after that...

Damn Thiefs

supportingmemeber.gif

apparently the ps/2 port on the mobo is going out or something cause when I apply pressure downward (to the ground) the internal speaker beeps and it types shit, so i pressed it down pretty hard for a bit then it stayed or something cause now I can type!

Damn Thiefs

supportingmemeber.gif