Second Skin Audio

Pioneer Premier Champion Edition sub in a Transmission Line

I am the proud owner of a 2004 Mazda 3 S hatchback and a pair of Pioneer TS 5102 SPL subwoofers. These are the Champion Edition that are rated for 2500 watts RMS. Due to current space considerations, I will be running only one of them for my daily setup.

Since I will be running a single sub for this system, output levels from the enclosure itself is very important. I had been contemplating building a monster vent ported system, but I have built many of these for people and want my enclosure to be a litle novel and unique.

My question is, if I put this sub in a transmission line, what will happen to its mechanical power handling? This speaker has a lot of technology built into it (aramide rubber surrounds, assymmetrical double spider, etc) but will it really take an AP 30001D at 1 ohm bridged without a box to support the cone?

there are a couple things to consider with a t-line

the biggest is going to be your area. keep it as close to the sd of the sub as possible and that will increase power handling just a bit

start with less than half of the rms and just watch it closely.

for your situation keep the gain all the way down. get so you can turn the gain up and watch the sub at the same time. adjust

a word of caution though once the sub goes past its limits, it will not come back.

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

the biggest is going to be your area. keep it as close to the sd of the sub as possible and that will increase power handling just a bit

for your situation keep the gain all the way down. get so you can turn the gain up and watch the sub at the same time. adjust

a word of caution though once the sub goes past its limits, it will not come back.

These particular subs should have a pretty high limit though, which is the nice thing about putting one in a T-line. I am not worried about them electrically, but I wouldn't want them unloading on 2000+ watts to the suspension.

Amp for this application have not been finalized, but I am leaning towards the AQ2200 or the Brutus 2400. Gain will be rolled in slowly, but I really wouldn't be crushed if I blew one (or both) of these subs doing a hairtrick lol. These subs are overbuilt (about 70lbs) and I wonder whether that isn't wasted weight over a BTL 12 or something. We are going to see how much abuse this particular sub can take, though and hopefully it sounds good in the process!

From experience, too. :D

Maybe even get a ruler or something similar and measure excursion? ...remembering that as they break in, they will get softer and move further...

And like IH8PunkRok said:

Eazy_Duz_It_905.png

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

i wonder if those subs wont be great in a tline..

this type of box likes short coils and low excursion

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

i wonder if those subs wont be great in a tline..

this type of box likes short coils and low excursion

Xmax for the sub is 11.5mm, which seems short for such a huge motor, but it is an extremely POWERFUL motor to couple to a port. Why not use the largest port factor possible?

Btw Fs is 29hz and Qts is .34 but thats because the mechanical damping qms is .76.